Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 13 (Who?), Viewed: 480 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 9:10 AM Last edited by Revenant.0713 : 6th Aug 2018 at 9:22 AM. Reason: Attaching photos.
Default Any advice on terrain painting please?
So I've progressed quite a bit in a large house I'm working on. It's a remake of a house I did back in Sims 2 a long time ago but never came around to uploading here sadly. It is largely based on these blueprints, with a few modifications (due to my inability to figure out how to do split-level second floors as shown in the original design, plus the near impossibility of copying the exact measurements).

https://www.houseplans.com/plan/958...-5-garage-17416

Anyway... I think it's coming along nicely. And with no layout of the basement level, I have free rein to turn it into whatever I want. I'm not quite ready to post pics of what I've accomplished with the house so far. But, I do need help with a specific waterloo of mine. Terrain paints.

Attached is an image of the garden area. I opted to use terrain paints for all the pathways because I felt they blended with the grass much better than flooring, and to that end I have to say I'm happy with what I've accomplished. I copied the style from the Stoke Edith House tapestry on wikipedia. But... I am not satisfied with the way the garden connects to the house. The rigid square shape works for the garden but somehow... something is off the way I led pathways to the doors (and staircase to the main floor). Can anyone tell me what element I might be getting wrong?



Another area where I'm having trouble is the garage area. I have never seen a garage this size, IRL, and I don't know how it should look inside. I have used dark asphalt terrain paints for the parking spaces though.



And finally, I have no concept of how to make the front lawn look like. The blueprints show a fountain with a porte cochere, but that's all I got. I am torn between a rose garden design and a massive expanse of lawn. IRL, I'm a minimalist so I am tempted to do the latter. But... then it would look plain compared to the rest of the Georgian aesthetic of the house so... Eh...



EDIT: Redid screenshots
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#2 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 10:21 AM
Not a sims 3 player, but I can't tell what I am looking at. Does sims 3 have TAB? Click that and see if it makes the UI disappear.
Then zoom in a lot. The first shot is just distant squares.

Most time fountains look better on some kind of stone/concrete.

Inside the garage, again concrete.

A formal garden with squares would normally have straight paths to the house or possibly angled, but still straight and symmetrical.

Also this is posted in the wrong place, you want building or Creator feedback. I don't have privies here so I can't move it, do you want it moved?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
dodgy builder
#3 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 10:38 AM
You should also get down on ground level and take som nice photographs of the garden with the house. You can also upload pictures to the post when you make it.

It looks to me loike you're not having many colors in the garden. Put som flowers there to make it look good.

Oh yes, as joandsarah says, push the tab button to get into cameea mode.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 12:15 PM
The UI toggles with F10, but only in Live Mode and Map Mode. Tab does the camerman thing.

I'd put a light, glossy tile floor in the garage. Make them white-ish but with a nice stone pattern, I think that could work. I would also opt for the rose garden.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Scholar
#5 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 2:08 PM
Concrete for the garage and not terrain paint, and I agree that more color in the garden would be nice.

Would love to see some pics of the building.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 6:25 AM Last edited by Revenant.0713 : 7th Aug 2018 at 6:56 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Not a sims 3 player, but I can't tell what I am looking at. Does sims 3 have TAB? Click that and see if it makes the UI disappear.
Then zoom in a lot. The first shot is just distant squares.

Most time fountains look better on some kind of stone/concrete.

Inside the garage, again concrete.

A formal garden with squares would normally have straight paths to the house or possibly angled, but still straight and symmetrical.

Also this is posted in the wrong place, you want building or Creator feedback. I don't have privies here so I can't move it, do you want it moved?


Noted. I put some stone tiles around the fountain and bordered them with the Fee Fie Foe Fence. IIRC, sims can step over it. I am also experimenting with concrete tiles right now in the garage.

On the subject of the thread... yeah, I'd like it moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
You should also get down on ground level and take som nice photographs of the garden with the house. You can also upload pictures to the post when you make it.

It looks to me loike you're not having many colors in the garden. Put som flowers there to make it look good.

Oh yes, as joandsarah says, push the tab button to get into cameea mode.


Adding some extra flowers. Did a google search on common plants in formal gardens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
The UI toggles with F10, but only in Live Mode and Map Mode. Tab does the camerman thing.

I'd put a light, glossy tile floor in the garage. Make them white-ish but with a nice stone pattern, I think that could work. I would also opt for the rose garden.


Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
Concrete for the garage and not terrain paint, and I agree that more color in the garden would be nice.

Would love to see some pics of the building.


Well, here are a few pics mid progress. I won't take pics of the inside of the building yet. I haven't finished decorating. Though the formal garden is nearly done.


Thanks guys. This is coming along nicely, I think.

Also, on a side note, sorry if the U-shaped staircase isn't aesthetically pleasing. Jesus Christ, that staircase from the veranda was hell to figure out. I couldn't use the CFE method cuz it couldn't connect to the wall next to it without warping. I was forced to elevate terrain to the desired height.
Screenshots
Scholar
#7 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 8:16 AM
Very well done. The only thing that looks odd to me is so many siding/wall types. I can see you have done tons of work on this. It will be a masterpiece when finished.
LeaderOfTheMantisShrimps
staff: administrator
#8 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 11:04 AM
dodgy builder
#9 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:45 PM
If you wonder where your thread has gone to @Revenant.0713

A thing I think you should work on is the ts3 CAST tool. It's good now before you move on to the interior. It will make your house stand out from the crowd with color coordination in all the fabrics and the garden. Try to make the fences, walls and windows follow the same palett you make. Here is a nice place, looks like they have a tool to make palettes as well link.

1. Pick a color from one of your pictures in Photoshop or Gimp or a free paint program that can take samples from pictures. I would choose a green from the lawn. Note down the R, G, and B numbers, and the HEX number.
2. Choose a palettmaker like the one above or Kuler.
3. Insert the number you found in 1, depending on what the palettmaker accepts. Kuler can take both.
4. Pick a color suggested to fit stone, wood or fabric, and combine in CAST. It takes some getting used to.
5. You can also use secondary colors suggested in Kuler to make new palett or scheme for a different pattern or surface.

Good Luck
Scholar
#10 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 6:40 AM
You did not ask us about all this, but this is what happens when you post here. LOL I agree with Volvenom about the coloring. You have black goth windows and off white/cream colonial doors. If you can get things to coordinate more it will work even more.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 3:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
Moved to creator feedback!


Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
If you wonder where your thread has gone to @Revenant.0713

A thing I think you should work on is the ts3 CAST tool. It's good now before you move on to the interior. It will make your house stand out from the crowd with color coordination in all the fabrics and the garden. Try to make the fences, walls and windows follow the same palett you make. Here is a nice place, looks like they have a tool to make palettes as well link.

1. Pick a color from one of your pictures in Photoshop or Gimp or a free paint program that can take samples from pictures. I would choose a green from the lawn. Note down the R, G, and B numbers, and the HEX number.
2. Choose a palettmaker like the one above or Kuler.
3. Insert the number you found in 1, depending on what the palettmaker accepts. Kuler can take both.
4. Pick a color suggested to fit stone, wood or fabric, and combine in CAST. It takes some getting used to.
5. You can also use secondary colors suggested in Kuler to make new palett or scheme for a different pattern or surface.

Good Luck


That does look like a very useful tool. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
You did not ask us about all this, but this is what happens when you post here. LOL I agree with Volvenom about the coloring. You have black goth windows and off white/cream colonial doors. If you can get things to coordinate more it will work even more.


Back in Sims 2, when I did this build, I used colonial windows with blue shutters. I have all 8 EPs but I haven't seen anything quite like that. And all the columned doors I have for colonial styles are like... 3 cells wide.
Scholar
#12 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 6:23 AM
I actually just meant that if you coordinate colors more in CASt I think your build will be even better. We have to use what we have, but having the ability to use CASt is a lifesaver in building.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 7:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
I actually just meant that if you coordinate colors more in CASt I think your build will be even better. We have to use what we have, but having the ability to use CASt is a lifesaver in building.


Yep, thanks. Working on color schemes now.

I also think I can use arches in conjunction with doors to create more a more genuine Georgian style of entryway.
Scholar
#14 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 8:57 AM
Solely my opinion, but if this house is to be Georgian I would use the more Colonial/Georgian windows in the game? And maybe do it all in brick? But this is Sims, so do as you like best.
Back to top