Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 2:28 PM
Default Real life measurement for one tile in caw
I was wondering what the real life measurement of one tile is in caw ? Like is it equal to a foot or meter?

Edit: I would like to say im referring to one tile as when you zoom in very close in caw to the smallest tile
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 2:41 PM
1 meter, exactly.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#3 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:07 PM
This reminded me of how tall sims are in feet, I've always wondered that

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
1 meter, exactly.

Thanks!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:28 PM
As far as I know, they're 172 centimeters or 68 inches tall. Assuming a default height, of course.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Trainee Moderator
#6 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:29 PM
As far as I know, they're 172 centimeters or 68 inches tall. Assuming a default height, of course.

Oh holy cow, that's tall, I guess I'm just used to a short culture, but also probably because I'm still young, but thanks anyways

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:35 PM
I'm somewhere in the vicinity of 179 and feel awkwardly short sometimes. The average Dutch male is 183, so the difference is really very minor. It's all about perception.

insert signature here
Trainee Moderator
#8 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:40 PM
I'm somewhere in the vicinity of 179 and feel awkwardly short sometimes. The average Dutch male is 183, so the difference is really very minor. It's all about perception.

According to my school, I'm 157 centimeters tall, and according to my mom I'm about 5 foot 3 or 4

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:40 PM

Noooo, they are this tall:

Screenshots
Trainee Moderator
#10 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Noooo, they are this tall:

Hurray! I'm taller than my sims lol

Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 4:00 PM
How can we be sure Will Wright isn't a giant?

insert signature here
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 4:43 PM
Ah, I never thought of that...

Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSweetToddler
Oh holy cow, that's tall, I guess I'm just used to a short culture, but also probably because I'm still young, but thanks anyways

I'm short but not young 22 and 5ft 3 ( iam a girl though not like the name suggests XD)
Trainee Moderator
#14 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 5:10 PM Last edited by TheSweetToddler : 29th Aug 2018 at 5:13 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
I'm short but not young 22 and 5ft 3 ( iam a girl though not like the name suggests XD)

Even shorter than me I think, and I just read up that according to EA sims are 6 ft 1

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 5:11 PM
Even shorter than me I think, and I just read up than according to EA sims are 6 ft 1

yeah, i use master controller to make them shorter but some animations are bad haha
Trainee Moderator
#16 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
yeah, i use master controller to make them shorter but some animations are bad haha

Isn't it the height slider than makes sims short? Or perhaps you edit their height through MC's cas?

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#17 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Ah, I never thought of that...

Confess, that dialogue between you and Pi was pre-scripted.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Confess, that dialogue between you and Pi was pre-scripted.

*simsample high-fives Pi*
Mad Poster
#19 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 8:41 PM
*High fives Simsample back*

insert signature here
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 9:31 PM
dodgy builder
#21 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 12:05 AM
I know there is a doc somewhere about the size of chunks etc, but I have no use of real world measurements in caw. I mean who cares
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Aug 2018 at 12:56 PM
Isn't it the height slider than makes sims short? Or perhaps you edit their height through MC's cas?

It only makes them a bit shorter about 5'9 so the MC makes the slider exceed it.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 7:44 AM Last edited by r_deNoube : 1st Sep 2018 at 7:48 AM. Reason: Add illustration
Warning: contrarian viewpoint

As much as I favour the metric system, and despite knowing that we Simmers generally call tile-widths "meters", I claim that tile units are actually yards.

Try it with one tile = 3 feet, and you'll get more plausible heights for Sims and for ceilings, compared to what you get by assuming tiles=meters.

The game was designed in the US, and flooring there is always manufactured and sold by the yard -- maybe sometimes feet or inches, but surely not meters.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#24 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 9:59 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 1st Sep 2018 at 10:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
Warning: contrarian viewpoint

As much as I favour the metric system, and despite knowing that we Simmers generally call tile-widths "meters", I claim that tile units are actually yards.

Try it with one tile = 3 feet, and you'll get more plausible heights for Sims and for ceilings, compared to what you get by assuming tiles=meters.

The game was designed in the US, and flooring there is always manufactured and sold by the yard -- maybe sometimes feet or inches, but surely not meters.

I'm pretty sure nothing really fits, snd the only reason people talk about meter is because that's the system they know about. I'm European, and the only thing I know about the us system, is it's a pain in the butt to understand.

Or said in the more "adult" way. People use metric because it's convenient. It's easy to understand for everyone.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
...People use metric because it's convenient. It's easy to understand for everyone.
I sure agree with that. Perhaps I should re-state my conjecture this way: I believe that the Outside World measurement for one tile is probably about 915 millimeters, for reasons given above. Appreciating that 915 is close to 1000, I won't get in a kerfuffle with any Simmers who call it a "meter" for convenience -- just as we often call 1024 a "k" for convenience, even while understanding that "k" means 1000.
Page 1 of 2