Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 6:11 AM
Or a pooping-esque. Fart jokes is the 4's specialty.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 6:37 AM
What did we get last year? Was it not some ugly in game t shirts? Or was that something else?
Scholar
#28 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I'm sitting here poking around on Twitter looking for some kind of celebratory tweet, post...something, anything with a mention of the 4 year anniversary of TS4. It is a long weekend here in the US, but one would have thought they would have at least mentioned that TS4 had a upcoming birthday before they left on Friday, nope! Even the most outspoken Yibs seem to have nothing to say.

The silence speaks volumes.

I recall LGR mentioned this himself in his 2 Year Of Meh video; EA didn't seem to have made any mention of the 2nd Anniversary, so why for the 4th?

Quote:
meaning that fans lose interest much more quickly.

Seriously. I've only returned to playing Sims 4 for a month and I already want to go back to Sims 3.
I mean, better than before... last time I played Sims 4, it barely kept me interested for a week or two...

Quote:
Cause I did and more.

I'm not sure my PC can handle all the EPs. Though I have all except WA.
If I get my hands on a good Laptop, I might consider making that my designated Sims Laptop.
I have seen people play with all EPs and (most) SPs installed, and theirs seems to work fine, but that's due to their specs, I'm sure.

Quote:
No greetings, no stories, no special traits, no customs, nothing.

You make me reminisce about Bon Voyage... I loved that EP! I loved going on vacations and learning things, finding those secret places... even if I learned I could easily use terrain paint to make some sand on my home lot and use that for several sand-related vacation things.

Quote:
The result is the game basically has 10 personality modes that get extremely repetitive.

It's a bit like Moodlets in Sims 3, which I found made it too easy to make your Sim stay in a good mood. (Especially if the Sim was pregnant. A constant +40 Moodlet? Thank goodness for the mod that makes it either a neutral or bad moodlet; makes it a bit more real, since pregnancy isn't always neat) And the moods in Sims 4 are worse. Unless I ACTIVELY PICK A TRAIT that makes my Sim Angry or Sad, I didn't get those moods at all. Too easy to get them into Happy. Can't do anything to keep them in Fine.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
It's now the 4th anniversary since this game been released. Do you think have EA and Maxis have any plans for this game and do you think anything had improved in the last 4 years? I'm pretty satisfied with Sims 2 and 3 myself and although I may have lost interest in this game a long time ago i'm still curious about what sort of direction they're going to take with this game. I had watched LGR's video 2 years of meh a couple years ago and that had left me wondering even 2 years later have anything really changed about this game despite the so called improvements that they had made to a game that had left fans deeply disappointed 4 years ago that still does today?

The game has improved in some areas. Maxis never had a good vision for this game. The game they spent years designing was an online/multiplayer game that wound up being scrapped and developed into what we got in a year. They weren’t transparent about that, so the blowback to the game at launch wasn’t surprising or unwarranted.

Does Maxis have something up their sleeve? Yeah I’m sure they have some packs to release later this year, but other than that no. They have 4+ years of feedback they have been sitting on and more often than not it has little influence on what they choose to make. They choose to make what is easy, or what it pretty. Usually both and that’s why we have outrageously decorated worlds with tiny playable spaces and barely any gameplay.
Instructor
#30 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
The game has improved in some areas. Maxis never had a good vision for this game. The game they spent years designing was an online/multiplayer game that wound up being scrapped and developed into what we got in a year. They weren’t transparent about that, so the blowback to the game at launch wasn’t surprising or unwarranted.

Does Maxis have something up their sleeve? Yeah I’m sure they have some packs to release later this year, but other than that no. They have 4+ years of feedback they have been sitting on and more often than not it has little influence on what they choose to make. They choose to make what is easy, or what it pretty. Usually both and that’s why we have outrageously decorated worlds with tiny playable spaces and barely any gameplay.

And most importantly, Sims smiling so hard the corners of their mouths glitch through their eyeballs, in order to give the player the impression that EVERYTHING IS FINE!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDD
Scholar
Original Poster
#31 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 4:10 PM
True.

I watched the live stream from this past Friday, yesterday. It was interesting to listen to Graham talk about how restrictive the camera is in TS4 compared to TS3 where a player 'can do anything', (not sure if what he said was intentional or a slip)general complaints about how sims kept walking through bassinets, "interesting bugs", ect...

Maybe they've come around to accept that their 'best game evah' really isn't the 'best game evah'. They will never admit it while the game is in production, but who would have thought the day would come when TS3 would get a little love and attention in a stream for TS4. Strange times at Redwood Studios...

I wonder why all of a sudden he's starting change his tune about Sims 4? Wasn't he one of the biggest defenders for that game? It all seems a little bit odd to me.
Instructor
#32 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 5:09 PM
I wonder why all of a sudden he's starting change his tune about Sims 4? Wasn't he one of the biggest defenders for that game? It all seems a little bit odd to me.

A big possibility with flops like this is internal office politics, and if I recall correctly, one of the Maxis workers laid off shortly before the release of Sims 4 even claimed as much. They commented Sims 4 was gonna bomb, was horrendously mismanaged, and implied the office politics are brutal.

Say they've recently rearranged some seats and now someone Graham was competing against is in charge. Now his allegiances change and now he has every motivation to point out every mistake the people at the top are making as a way to say "it should've been me."

All speculation of course, but just wanted to point out that there's absolutely motivations that make sense for a change in tone like that. Another possibility is just that the new people in charge think "transparency" with honest opinions about bugs means people feel like their concerns are acknowledged and on the to-do list; playing "the Emperor has no clothes" can win frustrated enemies, whereas acknowledging your flaws sometimes earns respect. Either is possible, and it would not surprise me in the slightest either if that entire studio is an episode of Game of Thrones where everyone's trying to scheme to become the new senior manager, whilst very very few actually concentrate on...yknow, doing their job properly.
Scholar
Original Poster
#33 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 5:10 PM
I have no idea. I can't say he was any worse or better when it came to throwing TS3 under the bus as most of them did it. I think they've come to understand that their two years of endless bashing and complaining about their own work got them nowhere. The effort to divide and conquer the sims community as a whole only worked for a short time after TS4 was released. Many people will defend something new and shiny, but as TS4 started to show its true form and colors, the endless bashing from team Maxis started falling on deaf ears.

Whether any of it means anything or not, who knows. It wasn't just Graham pointing the problems out by the way. There was three of them doing the stream and all of them had something to say about one thing or another.

Whatever that strange reason may be i'm happy that they're starting to realize and point out some of the flaws about Sims 4. Maybe just maybe we're finally get to see some real improvement in Sims 4. I still doubt it but I guess at the very least there's a little bit of hope left for them and Sims 4 after all. If there's ever going to be a Sims 5 they need to look back on Sims 4 and don't repeat the same mistakes that it had and they did ignoring the past improvements in the previous two games.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 7:51 PM Last edited by thevogel : 3rd Sep 2018 at 8:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
And most importantly, Sims smiling so hard the corners of their mouths glitch through their eyeballs, in order to give the player the impression that EVERYTHING IS FINE!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDD

LMFAO....I almost fell off my chair laughing at this!!! Because it's so true
Field Researcher
#35 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 7:58 PM
If there's ever going to be a Sims 5 they need to look back on Sims 4 and don't repeat the same mistakes that it had and they did ignoring the past improvements in the previous two games.

This is minimum. To the series is not only preserved, but also regained all the glory, we must remember what surprised us Sims 2.
Firstly, it's graphics. It was great. And it amazed ud with the detailing of the objects and the animation of the sims. It is necessary that the new game brought the same emotions from the graphics, like the game which is already 14 years old.
Secondly, they are characters. We need them to amaze with their sincerity. Player have to believe them. And he have to believe them more than even in Sims 2. You need to remove the moodlets. And work on animation and emotions. Now there are more opportunities than 14 years ago.
But it is impossible to implement without people who are madly in love with their game and are willing to voluntarily stay overnight to create some element. These were the developers of Sims 2. These should be new developers.
Humor can be moved. Mechanics too. Emotions from the game will have to recreate.
Scholar
Original Poster
#36 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Liza
This is minimum. To the series is not only preserved, but also regained all the glory, we must remember what surprised us Sims 2.
Firstly, it's graphics. It was great. And it amazed ud with the detailing of the objects and the animation of the sims. It is necessary that the new game brought the same emotions from the graphics, like the game which is already 14 years old.
Secondly, they are characters. We need them to amaze with their sincerity. Player have to believe them. And he have to believe them more than even in Sims 2. You need to remove the moodlets. And work on animation and emotions. Now there are more opportunities than 14 years ago.
But it is impossible to implement without people who are madly in love with their game and are willing to voluntarily stay overnight to create some element. These were the developers of Sims 2. These should be new developers.
Humor can be moved. Mechanics too. Emotions from the game will have to recreate.

I'm a bit confused. What are the things that are minimum and the regained glory?
Scholar
#37 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 3:58 PM

Yeah, some of the emotional faces are... weird. I'm sure some of that oddity comes from what you create in CAS, but I still blame the emotional face poses.
I mean, looking at the Very Playful face... that's an "I'm gonna run away from you very fast" face.
Or the Very Flirty face. Now that's a face that says you're down to Woohoo!

Quote:
we must remember what surprised us Sims 2.

The Seasons EP was a really cool surprise. I mean, weather! For the first time in a Sims game. Yes, it was annoying that they kept getting an "It's rainin/snowing/hailing!" action in their queue... and recall how each season actually influenced aspects? New friendships and romance getting a boost in Spring, skills were learned a bit faster in Autumn...
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 5:01 PM
Flirty is not an emotional state. Tense also isn't. Uncomfortable is also not an emotion.

The emotions are:
- Joy
- Sadness
- Boredom (Disgust)
- Fear
- Surprise
- Anger
- Anticipation
- Trust

Various levels of them and borders between them.

Tense could be an emotion or at least state (something on border with fear) but Flirty?! Definitelly not.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 1:53 AM
Either is possible, and it would not surprise me in the slightest either if that entire studio is an episode of Game of Thrones where everyone's trying to scheme to become the new senior manager, whilst very very few actually concentrate on...yknow, doing their job properly.

How many casualties per expansion pack?
Forum Resident
#40 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 7:44 AM
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...488898220294145 About the anniversary: "We usually do something. I'm sure we'll figure something out...but we're so busy...."
So they'll either drop something awesome or quickly recolor some shirts. Considering it's been nearly a week since the actual anniversary I would think it's the second option...

Some other mentionable tweets (we really need a "speculation & rumors" thread because I never know where to post random info bits, so I'm sorry for abusing this thread here )
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...486115001749506 They're "actively pondering right now" over disabilities.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...481100224811009 We might get something similar to story progression, but not how we expect it.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...479698136068097 Still no werewolves planned "there are many others we think will be more fun." UGH
Field Researcher
#41 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...488898220294145 About the anniversary: "We usually do something. I'm sure we'll figure something out...but we're so busy...."
So they'll either drop something awesome or quickly recolor some shirts. Considering it's been nearly a week since the actual anniversary I would think it's the second option...

Some other mentionable tweets (we really need a "speculation & rumors" thread because I never know where to post random info bits, so I'm sorry for abusing this thread here )
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...486115001749506 They're "actively pondering right now" over disabilities.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...481100224811009 We might get something similar to story progression, but not how we expect it.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...479698136068097 Still no werewolves planned "there are many others we think will be more fun." UGH

I'm disappointed that they didn't focus on university. what is the next EP then [giant question mark]
Scholar
#42 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 11:39 AM
Quote:
So they'll either drop something awesome or quickly recolor some shirts.

No worries; they'll release another stuff pack with stuff that should obviously have been part of Seasons.
Scholar
Original Poster
#43 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara

There was one but the OP deleted it because the thread turned into a rant fest.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 3:20 AM
It’s September... we’ve had three and a rushed packs this year - Expansion, Game, and two Stuff. I thought Pets & Seasons sold so well. Didn’t they hit 5 millions copies sold?

Well into TS3’s life cycle, EAxis was THROWING content at us. Where’s the content now? Don’t they want to make money?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#45 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 5:48 AM
My theory: they A. don't have the budget, B. don't have enough staff, or C. the engine is built so they can't churn it out. (Chairs excepted.) Could be all of the above.
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 11:06 AM
It's more likely B and C tho... A is valid if we suppose EA is pooling budget for The Sims 4 elswhere. But the B and C options are both true. They have free positions for working on TS4 and are actively searching for people and we all know how shitty is TS4's engine.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 12:15 PM
They should very well be able to produce more than 2 complete stuff packs a year. They’ve done it before. They have an entire art department devoted to visuals who they like to “keep busy.” I assume we’ll get another before the year is out. I doubt a game pack will drop until next year.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#48 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 1:41 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 8th Sep 2018 at 10:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Flirty is not an emotional state. Tense also isn't. Uncomfortable is also not an emotion.

The emotions are:
- Joy
- Sadness
- Boredom (Disgust)
- Fear
- Surprise
- Anger
- Anticipation
- Trust

Various levels of them and borders between them.

Tense could be an emotion or at least state (something on border with fear) but Flirty?! Definitelly not.

This pretty much solves your problem. It seems like a developer had over-long working hours to be in the mood, pun unintented, to coming with names for emotion labels while being death tired. That, or they hired a child that isn't very creative with coming up with clever names for emotions. Tbh, that's the least of my concerns. While it's one of the minor problems, 'emotions' just simply suck. Sims studio needs an assisted person whose speciality is in psychology study, because developers themselves don't seem to have interest to study human behaviour or how their mind works to make sims feel like close to a human counterpart. On a contrary, I not certain If these could (also) be the fault of bugs infestation why sims can't feel realistic emotions at times

Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 5:16 PM
I didn't mean just names... naming isn't my problem. It's the whole imaginary emotions with no diversity that override traits and actually don't change much of the game and are easily inducible.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 10:58 PM
If they considering and successfully utilize Plutchik's wheel of emotions, maybe the game wouldn't been such bad and the whole emotions-are-now-a-big-deal in this entry o the franchise would turn out great execution.

Page 2 of 6