Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

New Creator Theme: Elders! - posted on 1st Sep 2018 at 11:43 AM
Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 491 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 9:57 AM Last edited by Astrani : 12th Sep 2018 at 12:50 PM.
Default Help: converting non-default skintone to default for personal use
Hi!
I downloaded the beautiful skintone by PralineSims and wanted to make it into default. I have downloaded S4pe. Sims 4 Studio and Ts4 Skininator. I saw some threads on the question, however, I cannot find a comprehensive and precise step by step tutorial on how to take an already existing skintone (so I have no need to edit it in Photoshop), and make it default for personal in game use? Please help.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte
staff: moderator
#2 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 2:39 PM
This isn't a straightforward process and I don't know if anyone's actually done it. I haven't looked at every PralineSims skintone, but assuming the Powder one is typical, I'll try to explain the situation.

The PralineSims skin isn't really a skintone, it's an overlay categorized as Freckles and there's an associated grayscale overlay categorized as MouthCrease. The TS4 skintones consist of a color image with some shading combined with a grayscale image for face and body details. What you want is to use the PralineSims images for body details.

Here are the difficulties: While one details image is used for the body and base face for each age/gender in the game, there are dozens of face details images which are applied for different whole face and facial feature presets. You'd have to replace all of them with the PralineSims face in order to have consistency and eliminate the possibility of visible mismatches in the face. It might look fine; it might not.

If you want to go ahead, the best and easiest way would be to use the non-transparency male and female images in the overlays package, which are already grayscale. You can also try the light skin color images from the main PralineSims package; the game will treat them as grayscale, BUT I don't know what effect the transparency would have. Either way, in Skininator go into the Create/Edit Default Replacement Skin Details. In the Make New Default Replacement Package tab, check all the teen-adult boxes and create a package. (You can try only checking the teen/YA/elder chest/breast overlays to keep the number of files down. I think doing just the overlays would work.)

Open your package in the Edit/Test Default Replacement Package tab. Go down the list and replace each one with the male or female image from PralineSims. You might want to do only a few at first to see if this even works and looks acceptable. Save and test in the game.

If the faces are a problem you could try finding a default replacement face package, edit the PS images to get just the face, and replace the images in the package.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this and can't swear it'll work.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims 3 content:
Online Sims - general Sims 3 mods
Offline Sims - adult Sims 3 mods
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 3:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmarNYC
This isn't a straightforward process and I don't know if anyone's actually done it. I haven't looked at every PralineSims skintone, but assuming the Powder one is typical, I'll try to explain the situation.

The PralineSims skin isn't really a skintone, it's an overlay categorized as Freckles and there's an associated grayscale overlay categorized as MouthCrease. The TS4 skintones consist of a color image with some shading combined with a grayscale image for face and body details. What you want is to use the PralineSims images for body details.

Here are the difficulties: While one details image is used for the body and base face for each age/gender in the game, there are dozens of face details images which are applied for different whole face and facial feature presets. You'd have to replace all of them with the PralineSims face in order to have consistency and eliminate the possibility of visible mismatches in the face. It might look fine; it might not.

If you want to go ahead, the best and easiest way would be to use the non-transparency male and female images in the overlays package, which are already grayscale. You can also try the light skin color images from the main PralineSims package; the game will treat them as grayscale, BUT I don't know what effect the transparency would have. Either way, in Skininator go into the Create/Edit Default Replacement Skin Details. In the Make New Default Replacement Package tab, check all the teen-adult boxes and create a package. (You can try only checking the teen/YA/elder chest/breast overlays to keep the number of files down. I think doing just the overlays would work.)

Open your package in the Edit/Test Default Replacement Package tab. Go down the list and replace each one with the male or female image from PralineSims. You might want to do only a few at first to see if this even works and looks acceptable. Save and test in the game.

If the faces are a problem you could try finding a default replacement face package, edit the PS images to get just the face, and replace the images in the package.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this and can't swear it'll work.

Thank you so much for the answer! I will try to do it then the way you suggest.