Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Answered. I love Sims 2 and Sims 3 but refuse to buy anything else from EA. I'm not touching Sims 4 with a ten foot pole and the same will go for Sims 5 if it happens. I have to wonder how the people without mods play Sims 3, since I heavily rely on Nraas mods to keep Sims 3 stable.
I play Sims 3 without mods (or any CC at all). I guess my play style on TS3 isn't intensive enough to cause the problems other people have, or it's just luck. For TS4, I had an anti-culling mod, but that's it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 7:24 PM
Me and Sims 3 -
Okay, you have a nice girl friend, invite her over and ask her to marry you.
(Game: sorry, she has moved away during the night...)
Me: start a new game after 4th girlfriend moves away during the night
Make huge family.
Takes family to see auntie Rock Star performing
One teen arrested (for being out alone)
Arrested teen shows up as an adult one day, released from prison...

That game gave me nightmares.
Undead Molten Llama
#28 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 8:31 PM
Took the survey, yay.

I actually sort of like TS3, but I consider it to be a completely different game from TS2, completely unrelated to it. I don't even try to play it like I play TS2. I couldn't even if I wanted to, since it's not really meant for building neighborhoods from the ground up, which is what I do in TS2. I use TS3 to play "quest" sorts of things. Like, literally with the World Adventures quests, but also in general. Like I'll start a save with a single Sim and have a goal for him/her to achieve...and it never involves get married/have kids because the game's idiotic excuse for genetics pisses me off. It's usually career-related or collecting-related or something like that, something that a single Sim can accomplish in his/her lifetime. Once I achieve it, I start a new save with a new Sim. So for me, it's a quest game that I poke at when I feel like playing that sort of game. For that reason, I can play it without CC because I don't care if, for instance, a significant other suddenly moves out of town because my Sim doesn't HAVE a significant other. And I really don't care what the game looks like, either. I do have a few Nraas mods, though, mostly because without them I got save errors and whatnot once the save reached a certain size. That might have had more to do with my hardware, though. I haven't played TS3 since, for instance, I got the new video card I'm using now.

I did *ahem* acquire a copy of the complete TS1 collection, but I've actually never installed it anywhere. I might, one day. I've never had any interaction with TS4 (and don't plan to) so....no opinion there. And if the franchise continues...Well, I won't be buying that, either. TS2 and the occasional poke at TS3 when the want to do so arises is it for me.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#29 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 10:01 PM Last edited by Simonut : 14th Oct 2018 at 10:15 PM.
I can't speak on Sims 1 I did not start playing the Sims until version 2, but I heard some good things and fun features in Sims 1
Sims 3 I could never get pass the Sims Pillsbury Doughboy faces and never played it, Sims 4 never played but the Sims look a bit better.
A few added features seem ok from what I heard from members who play Sims 4.
Screenshots

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#30 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 10:58 PM
IMO, Sims 2 is not really playable without *any* mods. You can play it for a while, but eventually your neighborhood will be destroyed by BFBVFS and you have to start over. Or your game will become corrupted because an unmodded grand vampire bit Mrs. Crumplebottom.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 8:42 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 15th Oct 2018 at 8:53 AM.
I do mostly agree with @kestrellyn.

However - my vanilla hood in my vanilla game lasted for more than 4 years and there were more than 200 families when it did the invisible space thing.

Which is, in my humble opinion, not bad at all.

Started the new hood in 2014 with the UC - it has 285 families now, spread over the main and several sub hoods. I have all the essential mods. The hood may not be going, going, gone due to the mods, but it still give me many of the same problems (adults reverting back to teens, so I need to keep growing them up - may be the most regular one) - and I actually started a new hood the other day, because this one is getting more problematic by the day (and it is about 4 years old).
Theorist
#32 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 9:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Me and Sims 3 -
Okay, you have a nice girl friend, invite her over and ask her to marry you.
(Game: sorry, she has moved away during the night...)
Me: start a new game after 4th girlfriend moves away during the night
Make huge family.
Takes family to see auntie Rock Star performing
One teen arrested (for being out alone)
Arrested teen shows up as an adult one day, released from prison...

That game gave me nightmares.

^ Pretty much. The new girlfriend/boyfriend invariably either "moves away" (gets deleted), dies or turns into an elder.

I'd also add the nightmare of playing several households in rotation:

Me: Well if I change households at 3 AM the Sims in the new household should be all asleep in their beds, right?
Game: Lolno, the one of your sims is at the city park for no apparent reason, another is in the woods and their daughter is up and standing around the backyard.
Me: But who watches the baby?
Ghost Granny: I doooooooooooohoooooo
Me:

Also:

Pregnant Sim: Oh I just went into labour...better crap a bicycle out of my behind and ride it to the hospital!

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 9:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
^ Pretty much. The new girlfriend/boyfriend invariably either "moves away" (gets deleted), dies or turns into an elder.

I'd also add the nightmare of playing several households in rotation:

Me: Well if I change households at 3 AM the Sims in the new household should be all asleep in their beds, right?
Game: Lolno, the one of your sims is at the city park for no apparent reason, another is in the woods and their daughter is up and standing around the backyard.
Me: But who watches the baby?
Ghost Granny: I doooooooooooohoooooo
Me:

Also:

Pregnant Sim: Oh I just went into labour...better crap a bicycle out of my behind and ride it to the hospital!

Memories
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 1:21 PM
I can't recommend Story Progression. Not even a little bit. Turn it off first chance you get and keep it that way for all time. It's going to mess your hoods up and it's going to mess them up badly.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#35 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
IMO, Sims 2 is not really playable without *any* mods. You can play it for a while, but eventually your neighborhood will be destroyed by BFBVFS and you have to start over. Or your game will become corrupted because an unmodded grand vampire bit Mrs. Crumplebottom.

Why haven't EA or Maxis fix those problems if they corrupt the game or neighborhood? Corruption issues aside Sims 2 is still my most favorite from the franchise. Sims 3 is okay but it had took some shortcuts and like Simonut said the sims look the Pillsbury Doughboy which kind of turns off from enjoying it as much as i'm supposed to. I still had fun playing it though, I just don't enjoy it as much as I do with Sims 2 and with cc my sims look much better than the ones on 3 even with cc.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Why haven't EA or Maxis fix those problems if they corrupt the game or neighborhood?

Because they don't have to! That's what modders are for, silly!
Mad Poster
#37 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
I have to wonder how people without mods play any sims game.

I use the Any Game Starter program and have several builds without mods to play in and you will be surprise at how fun it is.

I like to go back and play vanilla style from time to time.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#38 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
you will be surprise at how fun it is.

I doubt I'd be very much surprised, since I actually played TS2 for well over a year before ever installing any mods, and I played TS3 for a month at least without mods, and all of my TS4 experience was 100% un-modded vanilla. TS2 was actually pretty fun...until I started experiencing weirdness and glitches that pretty much killed the fun for me. TS3 was damn near unplayable and an exercise in extreme frustration, and TS4 was...not as bad as I expected it to be, which really isn't saying much at all (I had extremely low expectations going in). Having played both TS2 and TS3 with mods, I would never, ever go back to un-modded. And I'm not sure I ever want to bother with TS4 again; I'm just far too much of a control freak for the basic game mechanics ever to work for me, and I doubt anyone will ever mod out everything that killed my fun there. (And also, I can just play TS2, so... )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#39 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 5:35 PM
I've always found the pudding face argument a bit odd. Who in their right mind would play a Sims game without changing the Sim skins? They're all kind of ugly.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#40 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Who in their right mind would play a Sims game without changing the Sim skins?

I suppose I never claimed to be in my "right mind," but I play Sims 2 with the default skins plus addons to increase the range. I've used default replacement skins in the past, but I don't miss them. That said, I do have eyes defaulted, because vanilla eyes just look...bad.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 5:58 PM
I've always found the pudding face argument a bit odd. Who in their right mind would play a Sims game without changing the Sim skins? They're all kind of ugly.

Me? Because i wasn't aware for a long time that default skins exist Living in Africa, our internet was not all that dependable back in the day - visiting the exchange was a challenge.
Theorist
#42 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 7:18 PM

I would and do. Aside from the limited variety I have no problems with the way Sims Sim 2 skins look.

And a different set of skins, in my experience doesn't really help against the pudding faces.

Mad Poster
#43 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I would and do. Aside from the limited variety I have no problems with the way Sims Sim 2 skins look.

You might be interested in:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=274668
and
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=526070
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#44 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 8:17 PM
In my experiences pudding faces aren't really a thing anyway, they're a characteristic of the game's art style rather than a flaw. TS4 suffers from the same issue, albeit with better-looking facial proportions. TS3 Sims have a certain look just like TS2 and TS4's Sims do. I don't love or hate any of them, in fact I think the Sims all look kind of mediocre by default. Creating handsome Sims is possible, but difficult with each game's generic and generally featureless skins. Makes sense though, they're a one-size-fits-all thing. These skins are meant to look acceptable on a wide range of people and characters, rather than look great on a very limited range of them.

insert signature here
Theorist
#45 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 8:52 PM
In my experiences pudding faces aren't really a thing anyway, they're a characteristic of the game's art style rather than a flaw. TS4 suffers from the same issue, albeit with better-looking facial proportions. TS3 Sims have a certain look just like TS2 and TS4's Sims do. I don't love or hate any of them, in fact I think the Sims all look kind of mediocre by default. Creating handsome Sims is possible, but difficult with each game's generic and generally featureless skins. Makes sense though, they're a one-size-fits-all thing. These skins are meant to look acceptable on a wide range of people and characters, rather than look great on a very limited range of them.

I agree it's a part of the game's style.
It's not a skintone issue alone, though it's a face sculpt issue. Sure you can enhance the sculpt a little bit with skintones, but the sculpt still stays the same. And I think the thing is: Sims 2 has very polygonal face sculpts, often too polygonal which is very good at simulating distinctive facial features, but can lead to some very extreme or mix-matched facial features in offspring. In Sims 3, I think one goal was to avoid the occasional....Picasso-style... toddlers/kids of Sims 2 by making the features much smoother and more subdued, probably in an attempt to make them more realistic looking as well. And in my opinion they might have gone a little bit too far. Note that especially the children and toddlers in Sims 3 tend to look very similar to each other.
And it's not just the skins and faces I don't enjoy in Sims 3, it's also the cardboard hair (at least in the basegame and the early expansions) and the dead/soulless/stoned looking eyes (I know those ones can be improved with defaults)

In the end I guess it comes down to whether you prefer the Sims 2 or the Sims 3 look, and neither is really better, just maybe better at simulating different things, if that makes sense?
And I also think that the Sims in Sim Medieval looked much better than those in Sims 3, pretty much like a better looking evolution of them and I would have been happy to see that style in Sims 4.
You might be interested in:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=274668
and
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=526070

Thank you! Just downloaded them!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#46 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 9:38 PM
One thing I find remarkable about TS2's CC skin is how good some of them are at hiding the low polygon count. Sure, it's got a lot to do with shading but you'd think a texture couldn't fix those awkward hexagonal eyes of theirs, and yet some of them totally do. Then again, the blocky faces give them a somewhat cartoonish quality. They're extremely expressive at times and the crude facial proportions help to advance that idea. Medieval, I agree, had very handsome-looking Sims despite using TS3 as its base in every way. TS4 did nothing to maintain that approachable yet realistic style, and frankly both TS3 and TS4 could do with a good dose of de-shitification when it comes to graphics.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#47 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 10:19 PM
As someone who is pretty face blind IRL I appreciate the sometimes exaggerated features of Sims 2 sims. Sims 3 sims all look the same to me.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#48 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 10:42 PM
I'm pretty face blind as well but in the case of my Sims I make up for it with fashion. I've used every pattern and color imaginable by now, and I've somehow managed to make all of it look good at one point or another. Of course I've been having to place a whole bunch of things off limits in keeping with the '80s thing nowadays, but even then it's not very hard to create a world full of different personalities, backgrounds and subcultures. I just, you know, don't get to use 75% of the available hairstyles and oufits. Thank the sweet baby jesus for CASt.

Having said that, don't walk up to me IRL if you've just had a haircut because I will NOT recognize you no matter how long we've been acquainted. I have difficulty recognizing myself in mirrors. I keep thinking, who the hell is this asshole who keeps walking in front of me?

insert signature here
Scholar
#49 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 11:16 PM
Because they don't have to! That's what modders are for, silly!

So I guess it's just business as usual letting modders fix their mess? Yeah I could take that as a valid answer.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#50 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 12:19 AM
I have no problem with the way Sims 2 Sims look, I kinda like their cartoonist look. I like them including the townies just the way they are.
I think Don Lothario is an handsome Sims and the Caliente sisters are not bad, the Dreamer and a few other are nice looking.
Even Mr. Big and the Diva from Nightlife downtown are nice looking ,yeah Sims 2 Sims are not bad looking at all, their may be a few here and there that are not.
But we have to have some Frogs and Prince and Princess in all versions of the Sims. but still I pass on Sims 3 Pillsbury Dough faces, LMAO

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Page 2 of 4