Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 5:43 PM
Default If there were a chemistry set for TS2, what features would you like to see?
I wasn't sure where to post this, but hopefully it'll be okay here. Are there any potions you'd want your Sim to be able to create and sell?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 7:18 PM
Oh, I like this idea. One of my favourite things in TS3 when I played was the alchemy system and making various potions. The actual chemistry set was kind of fun too.

Potions I'd like to see in a Sims 2 chemistry set:
-Energy boost
-Sickness cure
-Virus (drink it to get sick)
-Fertility boost
-Birth control/pregnancy prevention
-Alien pregnancy
-Self-pollination
-"Smart milk" effect for child-elder
-Warm up
-Cool down
-Vampire/Werewolf/Plantsim/Zombie/Good, Neutral & Evil Witch
-"Cures" for every supernatural state
-"Aloe vera" (cure for sunburn)
-"Calamine lotion" (cure for poison ivy)
-"Bottled sunlight" (fills a Plantsim's sun meter, recharges a Servo, kills a vampire)
-"Bottled lighting" (recharges a Servo, shocks other sims)
-Maximize Neat/Outgoing/Active/Playful/Nice
-Minimize Neat/Outgoing/Active/Playful/Nice
-Basically any/all of the BV vacation rewards, including jet-lag

The most useful of course would be the energy boost. But the ones I'd like to see the most would be the cures for sunburn and poison ivy, since I don't think there is a single way in game to do either of those yet. Being able to bottle personality other than nice/mean would also be a cool feature, I think.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 9:45 PM
Great ideas.
Alchemist
#4 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 10:06 PM
from my understanding, the original chemistry set was in Sims1's Living Large expansion. http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_%22C...tion_Station%22
maybe a Sims2 equivalent could include similar effects as that.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 8:51 AM
A potion to alter points in personality. Opens a GUI to add or remove points as If in CAS.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Theorist
#6 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 1:29 PM
In addition to some of the options already named, I'd like some really weird options:
-Temporarily turn into a cat/dog.
-"Fountain of Youth" (revert to the last life stage)
-"Age in a Bottle" (advance to the next life stage)
-That "Jeckyl and Hyde Monster' Potion from Sims 1, with the Monster being a permanent, new Supernatural where the Sim turns into a scary monster with the opposite personality to themselves each night.
-Fusing two Sims into one, pooling their skills and talent badges.
-A Potion that splits a Sim into two new ones based on his/her genetics.
-Ordinary and Evil clone potions.
-A Potion for Walking through walls.
-Transformation Potion (gives Sim a new, genetic face and hair/eye/skin colour genetics)

Stuff like that.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 7:28 AM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 26th Oct 2018 at 7:51 AM.
L-dopa to halt the espresso jitters.
Perhaps not possible, but something that maximizes a skill for a short amount of time.
Forgetfulness potion, along the lines of the witch's spell that wipes all memories.
Something that resets a relationship (and clears all its flags) to 0/0.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 8:42 AM
Turns a sim into a trash pile.
Turns a sim invisible and unperceivable by other sims.
Switches bodies (as in relationships, personalitiy, hobbies, turn on's and offs, memories and interest) between the victim and the person who threw the potion. If it's consumable potion, any of the individuals must drink it of the effect to be applied on.
A potion to grant temporarel ghost like features (phasing, levitating, possessing objects and scaring sims).
Friendship potion.
Immortality potion.
Skill mastery potion (temporal).

Scholar
#9 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 9:30 AM
I think potions that give you the BV vacation boosts might be good. Could the code for that perhaps be reused?

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:39 AM
When I hear "Chemistry Set" I can't but think of Bully's chemistry set, it allowed you to create firecrackers, stink bombs and itching powder. So something that lets you prank other sims? Stink bombs can zero the hygene meter and then what else?

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 12:22 PM
Make them puke. Basically like the one from TS3 Generation chemistry set?

Field Researcher
#12 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 3:11 PM
Basically a Sims 2 Wabbajack!

- turn sim into consumable Baked Alaska (as opposed to Sweet Roll)
- set something on fire
- turn invisible
- scare someone to death
- teleport to random location
- etc
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 5:25 PM
A potion that could max simoleons or set them to zero.
A love potion
A potion that could give a couple an instant baby.
One that kill a sim or turn him into an animal

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#14 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
L-dopa to halt the espresso jitters.

And a potion that heals "Chess Arm"?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 11:39 AM
So many good ideas! Personally I think we need both 'good' and 'bad' potions and maybe a chance to make the wrong one for fun. There should be some cost for making them, money or just the chance to fail miserably.
I see some suggestions that might be potentially corrupting, have to watch out for potions that outright delete sims (instead of killing them like the cowplant - drowning doesn't leave a gravestone either does it?).
Oh, what about a potion to keep the damn bees away? They waste at least an hour of my sim's precious time! Bees are not supposed to be that aggressive anyway!

Just one thing to be pedantic: aloe vera doesn't actually help with burns, despite how popular that notion is. Being able to heal sunburns would be nice though!
Instructor
#16 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 7:44 PM
I would like all the potions for Sims 1 converted. I was watching a YouTuber create an evil clone in Sims 1, and thought that it would be fun to have in Sims 2.

Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
And a potion that heals "Chess Arm"?

Don't forget 'Trash Arm' and 'Dance WTF Face'

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
I see some suggestions that might be potentially corrupting, have to watch out for potions that outright delete sims

Maybe I missed something, but I don't see anyone suggesting potions that delete sims
Field Researcher
#18 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 10:20 PM
Not outright no, but people have suggested things like turning sims into objects or fusing them - bad or careless coding could delete the old sim and 'replace' them with the result of the potion. (Honestly, how would you do the fusing without deleting or creating sims? Flagging the base sims as dead might work for making them dissapear temporarily I guess?)
Instructor
#19 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 10:38 PM
While there are great suggestions here, the science nerd in me cringes every time a love potion or a walk through walls potion or something of the like is mentioned. Chemistry isn't supposed to be magic nor alchemy, it is the study of substances and their behaviour. In my opinion, a chemistry set should have things like what CorsoC said (firecrackers, stink bombs, etc), items to set things on fire, maybe a pipe bomb to go through a locked door, corrosive mixtures to destroy an item, stuff like that.

Less glamorous? Yes. But realistic.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#20 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 4:03 AM
Yes, I too was thinking of a chemistry set more like the one I had when I was about 12. Only, since mine was aimed at older children/younger teens, there was a bit more emphasis on safety than in Yvelotic's case. "Safety", that is by the standards of the time. Mine came with 8 test tubes filled with chemicals, two more test tubes for use in experiments, a wire handle to hold the test tubes with when heating them, some sheets of litmus paper, a rather ineffectual little paraffin heater, and a working Bunsen burner. This, though made of lower quality materials than the ones we used in school, worked just as well as they did. To connect the Bunsen burner, you simply removed one of the burners from the kitchen stove, and pushed the rubber tube over the end of the inlet pipe. And finally, as an extra safety feature, to protect me and our house from fire, there was an asbestos tile. This was considered such a good feature that it was specially advertised on the box! The chemicals I can remember were copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, and logwood chips. The latter when heated in water, produced a dye that changed colour to indicate acid or alkali, rather like litmus.

Well, I can't help thinking that some of my nerdier young Sims might have quite a lot of fun with a similar chemistry set. I'm thinking especially of Andrew, who wants to be a mad scientist when he grows up. (Julian says he's half way there already! ) Only, in Andrew's case, I think I'll rely on Squinge's No More Fires mod to keep him safe, rather than give him an asbestos tile!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 7:28 AM
How about a deadly poison? Oooh, some woman could kill her cheatin' hubby, or just randomly kill neighbors or townies if she was a nut (I'm not being sexist; it's a fact that most poisoners are women.) I don't have any sims who want to kill each other at present, but if somebody modded a poison I'd certainly get some! It could use the same animations as sims do when trying to teach the dog to play dead (I like that one, it's cute!) It would be great if you could mix it up, then add it to the victim's food. They snarf it up and voila! Too bad there's no proper police system in the game. It would be nice to see people hauled away for the crimes they commit, like snitching newspapers and picking fights, etc.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 10:46 AM
How does asbestos protect you from fire?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 11:51 AM
Asbestos is non-inflammable, flame retardant, and a very effective insulator. In the 1950s and 60s it was regarded as a wonder material. Firemen wearing asbestos suits could go into a burning building and come out alive. I recall asbestos sheeting round the stove in our caravan (trailer to Americans). Asbestos tiles were ubiquitous in school science labs. We'd always place one on the bench underneath a Bunsen burner when heating things -- so if we dropped anything, it wouldn't set the bench on fire. There was an asbestos tile on every science teacher's desk. The ones at school were thicker and more robust than the one that came with my home chemistry set -- which means that there was more chance of me breathing in asbestos fibres from it. But of course I didn't worry (and neither did my parents) -- everybody knew that asbestos was "safe". That's why it was so widely used.

It was only in the 1970s that suspicions that asbestos dust might be dangerous began to circulate. It began to emerge that, while it might protect you from fire, breathing in tiny asbestos particles was slowly killing you. The real scandal that emerged was that the asbestos manufacturers had known about the dangers for some time, but had kept very quiet about them. The transformation of asbestos from something wonderful and good to something evil and dangerous has been one of the most spectacular reverses of my lifetime. I think it's even more complete than the change in the attitude to cigarette smoking.

So, all told, I won't be giving my Sims anything made of asbestos -- I love them too much!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#24 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
Not outright no, but people have suggested things like turning sims into objects or fusing them - bad or careless coding could delete the old sim and 'replace' them with the result of the potion. (Honestly, how would you do the fusing without deleting or creating sims? Flagging the base sims as dead might work for making them dissapear temporarily I guess?)
I think (hope), that people realize some of these things aren't possible or are unsafe, given the limitations of the game and that the ideas are wishful thinking.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I think (hope), that people realize some of these things aren't possible or are unsafe, given the limitations of the game and that the ideas are wishful thinking.

Me too, but you can never be careful enough and some people just have no idea how creating this kind of stuff works.
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
While there are great suggestions here, the science nerd in me cringes every time a love potion or a walk through walls potion or something of the like is mentioned. Chemistry isn't supposed to be magic nor alchemy, it is the study of substances and their behaviour.

You're right, I didn't even think about that. Normally I dislike it too when people confuse alchemy and chemistry, but in this context - a game where almost everything is not quite like real life - I always forget the distinction because how often it doesn't matter in these kind of worlds. Magic really exists in The Sims series, after all. Floors never have to be vacuum cleaned, walls never have to be scrubbed, nobody ever needs a plaster or breaks a bone, etc. Plus, most of the things you can make with a real chemistry table are useless, barely useful, not as fun in the game as in real life or impossible in the game.

But let's try to make more realistic potions (that will often still go beyond what somebody could do at home):
- Food preservers to make food last longer
- Nutrients to make food better (aka the Seasons food sparkle)
- Caffeine pills (energy boost)
- Food colouring which allows the sim to make fun-coloured desserts (kind of like how you need fish to bake fish)
- Stuff just to sell to make money (paints, soap)
- Perfume, maybe even Parsimonious magic perfumes
- Candles
- Fireworks
- 'Fruit juice'
- I think something to help with sim's inner temperature would still be good to be honest
- Entertaining stuff even kids are allowed to do, just for fun or maybe extra logic/mechanical/cleaning points (or both!)

And a separate alchemy table. :P
Page 1 of 2