Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
This is FACTUALLY incorrect. Only lighting is better in TS3. Neither has good post processing effects: both have basic antialias, both lack native texture filtering, TS4's SSAO doesn't work properly, TS4's has a very poor implementation of blur / depth of field. Lighting at release was terrible in TS4, but thank God they at least improved it post release. I do think the way lights and shadows work is probably the ONE thing TS4 did right graphically speaking.

I'm damn envious of the indoor lighting model used in TS4 - the way directional light comes through windows can be beautiful, and TS3 simply does not have anything like it. The shading works very globally, with objects not casting any shadows on themselves and larger objects being affected by light evenly everywhere. It's very easy to place 5 counters in a row and have all of them be a completely different color due to this limitation of the engine. But TS3 has the better models, the better texture compression, and it has a more lifelike color palette with indoor light levels that actually make sense. TS4's interiors are dark and dingy, and often have a strong blue hue, whereas TS3 only gets the blue color grading outdoors at night.

Thankfully it's laughably easy to modify many of TS3's lighting properties whereas this is largely impossible with TS4. And if you're interested in modding the game, it's possible to plug in additional post processing effects. There's a mod for TS2 that gives it bloom and SSAO effects internally, within the game's render engine, and I suspect the same may be made possible within TS3 before too long. Reshade already does this to a degree, but requires tedious manual configuration and takes a long time to load.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I don't know what you mean. Have you checked your FPS? If FPS are stable the game is not lagging. I'm noticed some times when I right click to follow a Sim, the game appears to lag but it's just the camera not being very smooth. FPS show game is stable at 55-60 FPS.

It is not low FPS. When the lag happens with rotating camera using mouse, it will then rotate normally when I use the keybinds, or press the arrows with the mouse. So if it were low fps, that would make no difference. My fps is fine. I have a AMD RX580 and I am not even running highest settings (because I keep forgetting to do that now I think about it).

It only happens when rotating camera with holding down the mouse button. I am used to rotate the camera this way probably because I play shooters and rpg's where this is usually the way to look around.
Inventor
Original Poster
#28 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I'm damn envious of the indoor lighting model used in TS4 - the way directional light comes through windows can be beautiful, and TS3 simply does not have anything like it. The shading works very globally, with objects not casting any shadows on themselves and larger objects being affected by light evenly everywhere. It's very easy to place 5 counters in a row and have all of them be a completely different color due to this limitation of the engine. But TS3 has the better models, the better texture compression, and it has a more lifelike color palette with indoor light levels that actually make sense. TS4's interiors are dark and dingy, and often have a strong blue hue, whereas TS3 only gets the blue color grading outdoors at night.

I meant to say The Sims 4. I agree, lighting is very limited in TS3 although I believe there's directional light... a very rudimentary version of it. TS4 interiors are rough though. They look nice during the day with NATURAL light, but at night with lamps... not so much. It looks as flat as TS3.

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Thankfully it's laughably easy to modify many of TS3's lighting properties whereas this is largely impossible with TS4. And if you're interested in modding the game, it's possible to plug in additional post processing effects. There's a mod for TS2 that gives it bloom and SSAO effects internally, within the game's render engine, and I suspect the same may be made possible within TS3 before too long. Reshade already does this to a degree, but requires tedious manual configuration and takes a long time to load.

I've seen some post process injectors and they generally affect the UI as well, so there are a no-no for me. As much as I want my game to look pretty, I also want it to be functional. I'm sure TS3 is capable of more. Surface scattering like Medieval? Native AO? I don't know, only time will tell. But I think TS3 has a lot of potential to look really great. TS4? Maybe if they remodel every object and remake all textures (they could release an HD pack like many other games do), but I don't see it happening.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 1:27 AM
Postprocess presets that affect the UI are a product of laziness - mine doesn't affect the UI to a degree where it becomes impossible to use in regular gameplay. Of course it would be better if these postprocess effects ran entirely within the game engine and did not affect the UI, but I don't think it's entirely feasible at the moment.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#30 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 6:46 PM
I am considering buying a nvme-SSD. I did not realise that they could be more then 2 times as fast as a sata-SSD. And these are al so much faster then normal harddisks. This might help a lot with loading patterns and CAS CC in TS3.
Page 2 of 2