Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 3:52 AM Last edited by notis784 : 27th Oct 2019 at 5:16 AM.
Default Pink Flashing - My pc is too powerful for the sims 2? [FIXED!!!! // Windows 10 FIX]
Hello everyone,
I need major help because I recently got a new gaming computer that includes RTX 2080Ti and 32 gigs of ram and hood decorations and sims are flashing pink. I know the problem is because my PC has the recent graphics card. I have made my texture memory up to 8192mb but the 4gb patch is not working for me for some reason so the memory is only 1024mb. I have changed the graphics rule.sgr to windows 10. I do not have any cc installed, whenver I go into a lot or go into CAS it crashes.
My specs are;
i7-8700k 3.7Ghz
32 Gigs of ram
RTX 2080Ti 11gbs
Please help me out

-

Edit: I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BRX0JlN8lM&t=623s

XUrbanSimsX has a tutorial and it's really useful, I'm running my sims with my new graphics card and it works like a charm (I also have 10 gigs of custom content and its running really smoothly)

If you need help, follow every tutorial in the video and it should work 100% <3
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 3:59 AM
Well, I can tell you I have a powerful pc too, with that exact same CPU, 32 gigs of ram, and a 1060 6gb card. The only difference is that I stubbornly stick to windows 7. I have not had pink flashing on this computer. What fixed it for me was the 4gb patch and the standby memory fix. Link to more info in the help section here on MTS.

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by notis784
Hello everyone,
I need major help because I recently got a new gaming computer that includes RTX 2080Ti and 32 gigs of ram and hood decorations and sims are flashing pink. I know the problem is because my PC has the recent graphics card. I have made my texture memory up to 8192mb but the 4gb patch is not working for me for some reason so the memory is only 1024mb. I have changed the graphics rule.sgr to windows 10. I do not have any cc installed, whenver I go into a lot or go into CAS it crashes.
My specs are;
i7-8700k 3.7Ghz
32 Gigs of ram
RTX 2080Ti 11gbs
Please help me out

You need to make all files and folders for Sims 2 in My Doc both read and write, you are running into the windows protection problem where as windows make all files and folders read only and will not allow your game to change anything after install.

Windows 10 sucks about this and some players have to do it every time they play.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 4:12 AM
You will get more help on the help board. http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=31

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 5:29 AM
Thank you everyone, I will try dig in and fix it right now
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 5:52 AM
I have tried everything and it is still flashing pink, are there anymore tips for the pink flashing not to appear?
Instructor
#7 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 8:54 AM
Try this and please read all directions for install
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 9:35 AM
I've done that too and it hasn't work
Instructor
#9 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
You need to make all files and folders for Sims 2 in My Doc both read and write, you are running into the windows protection problem where as windows make all files and folders read only and will not allow your game to change anything after install.

Windows 10 sucks about this and some players have to do it every time they play.

Could you please tell me how or where I could find the tutorial to make this,please?

I am Brazilian but I live in Switzerland!!!!
Call me Paula if you want :)
My Tumblr =)
Alchemist
#10 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 1:31 AM
You can check if your files are read only by viewing the folder's properties. So go to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 and then right click on "The Sims 2" and then select "Properties" (it should be at the bottom of the list). In the General tab, the last section should be Attributes. Make sure that the box next to "Read Only" does not have a check mark. (A blue or blank/white box should be okay.)

I don't have Windows 10 but I did have trouble installing the Graphics Rules fix. May I ask which folder(s) you saved the new graphics rules in? When you have EPs installed, I found that you have to change the graphics rules in the base game folder (The Sims 2) and in the folder of your latest expansion because the game is running that. (I experienced problems when I changed it in one place but not the other. I had to update the graphics rules and video card files in my TS2, AL, M&G, and TS2 Store Edition folders! )

It might vary if you have the Ultimate Edition (I don't have it so I can't say for sure), but it doesn't hurt to try. Update the graphics rules file and video card file in the base game folder and in the folder of your latest EP and, if you have the Ultimate Edition, see if there's a graphics rules in that folder and update it too.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
You can check if your files are read only by viewing the folder's properties. So go to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 and then right click on "The Sims 2" and then select "Properties" (it should be at the bottom of the list). In the General tab, the last section should be Attributes. Make sure that the box next to "Read Only" does not have a check mark. (A blue or blank/white box should be okay.)

I don't have Windows 10 but I did have trouble installing the Graphics Rules fix. May I ask which folder(s) you saved the new graphics rules in? When you have EPs installed, I found that you have to change the graphics rules in the base game folder (The Sims 2) and in the folder of your latest expansion because the game is running that. (I experienced problems when I changed it in one place but not the other. I had to update the graphics rules and video card files in my TS2, AL, M&G, and TS2 Store Edition folders! )

It might vary if you have the Ultimate Edition (I don't have it so I can't say for sure), but it doesn't hurt to try. Update the graphics rules file and video card file in the base game folder and in the folder of your latest EP and, if you have the Ultimate Edition, see if there's a graphics rules in that folder and update it too.

I will try that out right now, thank you so much for the idea. In the meantime, the flashing pink only occurs to objects, sims and hood decorations but nothing else. What I find weird is that animated hood decorations are textured.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 2:45 AM
Did you delete the contents of your thumbnail folder? I have to do that every so often.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 2:47 AM
Okay so I've updated all my graphics rules and video rules in every expansion pack and stuff pack. Sadly to say that it still flashes pink.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you delete the contents of your thumbnail folder? I have to do that every so often.

Yes I have, but I am quite confused on how the walls, floors, terrain and the water aren't flashing pink
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 4:05 AM
Check you config-log-txt file inside the Logs folder. This is inside your Sims 2 folder under Documents. What does the memory and free memory say and does it mention your graphics card in that same file?

A good explanation I heard once imagined a tube, those not flashing pink have been rendered and are in the tube, the rest can't fit and are flashing. The more you give it to render the more the tube fills then at some point overflows. If I play too long I will get some pink flashing. Usually 3-5 random objects. What's flashing is random and doesn't really matter, what matters is that things are flashing.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 4:18 AM
RTX 2080Ti? RTX 2080Ti!? RTX 2080Ti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

OMGOMGOMG... Do you have your old used 1080ti for sale then since you're wealthy as fuck?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
#17 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 6:14 AM
To turn off permission of Windows 10 folders go to this setting following this path
Settings - Windows Security - Virus and Threat Protection - Manage Settings - Controlled Folder Access and turn it off. That takes care of read and write permissions.

And, it sounds like you did not install the Graphic Rules Maker correctly. What steps did you take to install it? In the 'Settings' tab you should see your most current Expansion Pack. Leave that alone. Did you go to the tab on top for 'Device Info' ? You have to make the game recognize your card (you should see the graphic card description in the Device info tab). If there is a 'No' next to 'In Database' click on the No and it will change to Yes and write it to the Graphics Rules.sgr then go back to Settings tab and on the bottom click on Save Files. You'll see a pop up box that says Saved to Game. Then try the game again.
Instructor
#18 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 6:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by notis784
Okay so I've updated all my graphics rules and video rules in every expansion pack and stuff pack. Sadly to say that it still flashes pink.

Oh no, not this way, use the Graphic Rules Maker. You're not suppose to change all the Graphic Rules files in every pack, just the most current Expansion Pack. I hope you made a backup of the original files, restore them, if not, you should do a total re-install. Then use my directions above for GRM.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Oh no, not this way, use the Graphic Rules Maker. You're not suppose to change all the Graphic Rules files in every pack, just the most current Expansion Pack. I hope you made a backup of the original files, restore them, if not, you should do a total re-install. Then use my directions above for GRM.
\
I've used the graphics rule maker and it still flashes pink sadly ://
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
To turn off permission of Windows 10 folders go to this setting following this path
Settings - Windows Security - Virus and Threat Protection - Manage Settings - Controlled Folder Access and turn it off. That takes care of read and write permissions.

And, it sounds like you did not install the Graphic Rules Maker correctly. What steps did you take to install it? In the 'Settings' tab you should see your most current Expansion Pack. Leave that alone. Did you go to the tab on top for 'Device Info' ? You have to make the game recognize your card (you should see the graphic card description in the Device info tab). If there is a 'No' next to 'In Database' click on the No and it will change to Yes and write it to the Graphics Rules.sgr then go back to Settings tab and on the bottom click on Save Files. You'll see a pop up box that says Saved to Game. Then try the game again.

I've done that but I'll try the permission of windows 10 folders though, thank you
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
RTX 2080Ti? RTX 2080Ti!? RTX 2080Ti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

OMGOMGOMG... Do you have your old used 1080ti for sale then since you're wealthy as fuck?

LMAO I wish I was wealthy tbh but no I got a brand new pc recently and I've never had an old graphics card. But trust me I saved up a lot to get this computer but thank for the compliment
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Check you config-log-txt file inside the Logs folder. This is inside your Sims 2 folder under Documents. What does the memory and free memory say and does it mention your graphics card in that same file?

A good explanation I heard once imagined a tube, those not flashing pink have been rendered and are in the tube, the rest can't fit and are flashing. The more you give it to render the more the tube fills then at some point overflows. If I play too long I will get some pink flashing. Usually 3-5 random objects. What's flashing is random and doesn't really matter, what matters is that things are flashing.

Yes it does, 4096mb of memory and free memory too
Instructor
#23 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 4:18 PM
My computer is Windows 10 and a AMD Radeon 5450 which is old as shit. And only 8gb of memory. I followed all the steps I told you and my game is running really good. Don't get why it still is not running for you then.

Did you apply the 4gb patch correctly too? How did you apply it? Which exe file did you apply it to?

Before you start the game, go into the Thumbnails folder in My Documents\EA games\The Sims2\Thumbnails and delete those files in there (don't delete the folder itself). Also, in the 'The Sims 2' folder in My Documents, at the bottom there are two files Accessory.cache and Groups.cache, delete those too. Also, are you using compatibility mode on the game? If yes, turn it off and run the game under Administrator by right clicking on the icon.

Other than that, you need to start over. You obviously did not install something right here (and by changing all of your graphic rules in every pack you did something wrong. Those files should never be changed).

Are you changing where the game installs on your hard drive? If you did that's bad too, don't change where it installs.

Also, which version of the Graphic Card Rule Maker are you using? They made a newer version that helps with newer Graphic Cards.

Did you add any Custom Content yet? Where are you putting those files?

Try a new clean install without your virus protection on (just for the install of all the packs), turn off the Controlled Folder Access, apply the 4gb patch, then use the Graphic Card Rule Maker again, clear the cache files and run under Administrator without compatibility on.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 9:50 PM
You did the graphic rules in both the config and CSconfig folders in your installation files?

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#25 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 12:39 AM
OP,

You should probably reinstall to start from scratch. I think the following threads were helpful for stopping the pink flashing in my own game (haven't had any pink since, and I currently play on a Macbook Pro circa 2016 with a bootcamp partition.)

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7909

There are videos in there that are quite helpful as well. I have one more resource that has always helped me figure out graphics rules - which is this old SimsVIP article: https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-...solution-guide/ and another that sadly isn't around anymore, but I'll see if I can find it.

The reason I'm putting those in is that there's only a few things in the graphics rules.sgr file that you need to edit, and you only need to edit those things in the file associated with the HIGHEST EP YOU HAVE.

Sorry for the caps, but it's really important, as it looks like you edited everything and may have borked those files (not sure, hence a recommendation for a reinstall). Highest EP = the one that you're running the game from, so in UC that's Mansion and Garden, and in Super Collection that's Bon Voyage (later EPs and SPs weren't ported over to Mac).

There's two additional places that may be useful: this thread in the help forum here >http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=614833 , and this one on Leefish: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=21. I think you should also post in both of those to get some support - the main board isn't really the best place for in depth support questions like this.
Page 1 of 2