Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 9:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Has anyone with Windows 10 tried to run TS2 in compatibility mode?
I was wondering about the pink flashing issues when my hubby suggested that i run TS2 in compatibility mode (running it as Windows 7) on my windows 10 computer. Has anyone tried this, and does it eliminate the pink flashing problems?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 10:19 PM
I tried, but it didn't fix anything. Neither did admin mode.
I think it may interfere with the 4GB fix (which is a better solution anyway) according to a few sources, which you may want to try first.

I did the 4GB fix, and changed the GraphicRules an VideoCard files (because I've got a newer graphic card), but whatever I did my game would crash when I tried entering lots.

The only thing that actually helped was to edit the virtual memory (got rid of crashing and stopped the pink-flashing at least temporarily), but I have a feeling that's not a good idea since I've got a SSD as the main drive (may set it to the HDD when I get back to fixing the game). I wish there was a way to use more RAM, because I've got 32 GB to play around with... I got TS2 to recognize the graphic card, and it ran fine with shaders and all (though I still have some issues with the antialiasing), but so far I've only tried without CC, so I'm not convinced I've properly fixed everything.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I tried, but it didn't fix anything. Neither did admin mode.
I think it may interfere with the 4GB fix (which is a better solution anyway) according to a few sources, which you may want to try first.

I did the 4GB fix, and changed the GraphicRules an VideoCard files (because I've got a newer graphic card), but whatever I did my game would crash when I tried entering lots.

The only thing that actually helped was to edit the virtual memory (got rid of crashing and stopped the pink-flashing at least temporarily), but I have a feeling that's not a good idea since I've got a SSD as the main drive (may set it to the HDD when I get back to fixing the game). I wish there was a way to use more RAM, because I've got 32 GB to play around with... I got TS2 to recognize the graphic card, and it ran fine with shaders and all (though I still have some issues with the antialiasing), but so far I've only tried without CC, so I'm not convinced I've properly fixed everything.

Thanks for the response! I was wondering about rolling back my win10 updates to the one before the pink flashing.. have you tried this by any chance? I remembered playing ts2 last year on my win10 and i never ever had flashing pink happen. =[
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 9:25 AM
I don't know which update that would be, since I got the laptop a month or so ago. All the updates so far were probably just shoe-hammered into it when it did the first updates.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2019 at 11:52 AM
Turning on compatibility mode can affect the 4 gb patch so no I wouldn't.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#6 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:04 PM Last edited by Kunder : 28th Apr 2019 at 10:12 PM.
@labellavienna

Keep in mind that TS2 is what.... 14 years old? Windows 10 isn't compatible to begin with. Add a few updates, and you're no longer playing TS2. Technology has moved on. BEST thing you can do?

Invest in an older laptop. My suggestions:

Windows 7 preferably.
Windows 8.1 alternatively.

Lenovo ThinkPad T440p, or any other 4thGen with HD4600m on-board graphics. Although, the HD4600 is more than capable for TS2, If you're running Windows 7 on this machine, AND have the nVidia GT730m graphics, you can use the nVidia graphics. THIS machine, will run you between $150-$225. WITH nVidia graphics, add $25-$50 more. Dell e6440, is an alternative.
Lenovo ThinkPad T430/T430s WITH nVidia NVS 5200m graphics, or equivalent machine (Dell e6430 WITH nVidia). This machine, with nVidia graphics, can be purchased for just a few dollars more, than the T420.
Lenovo ThinkPad T420/T420s WITH nVidia NVS 4200m Graphics, or equivalent machine (Dell e6420 WITH nVidia). This machine with nVidia graphics can be purchased for between $100-$175 USD.
Lenovo ThinkPad T500 WITH Radeon Mobility 3650 graphics. This computer can be purchased with RADEON graphics, for between $80-$120. This is the absolute MINIMUM setup, for a good "Simming" experience.

The reason I recommend ThinkPads, is because even a NOVICE can upgrade any component on them that's upgradable, with a little research, and a You-Tube video.

My current "Simming" machine:

Lenovo ThinkPad W540, with nVidia K2100m graphics, and Windows 7. I use the nVidia graphics. This computer ALSO has HD4600m on-board graphics.
32gb/RAM
i7-4800mq (Quad Core)
500gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD x2 (1tb total)
240gb "MyDigital" M.2 SSD ( I HIGHLY recommend!)
1080p IPS display.
Backlit keyboard
4xUSB3.0 (with added PCI Express card with 2x3.0 USB ports)
1 USB 2.0
Win7Pro.
No swap file.
This computer cost me a TOTAL of $553 USD, to buy, and build. It's a fanTAStic "Simming" machine!

Other recommendations:

8gb/RAM
SSD
External drive to image your system to.

Dell M4800 is a similar laptop to the W540.

New computers, and new gaming machines run TS2 very poorly, IF at all.

I've been building machines SPECIFICALLY for running TS2, for around four years now (500, or so JUST for TS2), and my experience has proven to me, that ALL the above computers are superb, "Simmers".
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:22 PM
@Kunder
Could the OP buy a new Win 7 pro (or another Win 7, I have Pro) and simply install it onto their machine and be done with it? or would it take more than this simple, yet costly...way?
My son told me, we bought it from New Egg for 240$CAD...I just asked him.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:27 PM Last edited by Kunder : 28th Apr 2019 at 10:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
@Kunder
Could the OP buy a new Win 7 pro (or another Win 7, I have Pro) and simply install it onto their machine and be done with it? or would it take more than this simple, yet costly...way?

@Rosebine
I don't know. I don't know what computer she's using, or the hardware specs. If you can get Windows 7 drivers for it, probably. If not, No.

Might have better luck with Win8.1Pro, if the machine is a newer one.

She might also want to look at the video config.log in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs to see if she has the <Not Found in Database> error. If so, THAT needs to be fixed. She may also need the TEXTURE Graphic Rules.sgr for her card.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:28 PM
And getting the drivers for it rely on what is the computer she is using? i thought once you have Win 7..then you have access to its driver...

Field Researcher
#10 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:34 PM
And getting the drivers for it rely on what is the computer she is using? i thought once you have Win 7..then you have access to its driver...

@Rosebine
If it came with Windows 7, AND you have the "Windows.old" folder on your C:\ drive, you can pull the drivers from there IF you copy "Windows.old", to an external drive BEFORE re-formatting with Win7. MOST of the drivers are located in Windows\System32, and SysWOW64.

IF her computer came with Win7, she SHOULD be able to go to the manufacturers website, and download all the drivers for her particular model of laptop. You'll NEED your Wi-Fi drivers to access the web via wireless. So DOWNLOAD the Win7, Wi-Fi drivers BEFORE wiping the HDD, OR pull the wi-fi drivers from "Windows.old" (IF you still have it) that you previously copied to an external drive.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:40 PM
My computer was built piece by piece so didn't come with anything. Installing Win 7 on it gave it what it needs to run, so I have a hard time understanding how a new installation would not, on another machine. Don't the license will come with everything it needs?

Thank you.

Field Researcher
#12 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:48 PM

My computer was built piece by piece so didn't come with anything. Installing Win 7 on it gave it what it needs to run, so I have a hard time understanding how a new installation would not, on another machine. Don't the license will come with everything it needs?

Thank you.

@Rosebine
That depends. If your computer is a desktop, I'd consider going to the video card manufacturer, and updating the driver. However, if the computer's OLD enough, Win7 may already have the drivers for it. Laptops are different. Some need the SPECIFIC driver for the laptop. IF your computer was built by someone who knows what they're doing, you SHOULD have a "Restore" partition and a rescue disk with your computer. ALL my refurbished, and rebuilt, computers come with a backup solution. If you do NOT have a backup solution, you need to make one, BEFORE you have a catastrophic failure of some sort.

If you, or anyone else needs help with this, I can help.

Either way, for a desktop OR laptop, I *HIGHLY* recommend either a SECOND hard disk, or an external drive, make a disk image either with Windows 7 disk imaging tool, or Macrium Reflect (outstanding free download!). Make SURE you make a "rescue disk" regardless.

Another reason I recommend Lenovo, they still support their old computers, because there are so many of them out there, useful, and running.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:59 PM
Ok thanks. I don't have any trouble with mine, but since I know next to nothing about OS, i thought i should ask..might have helped Labellavienna.
Yes, mine is a desktop bought/build especially for TS2 and TS3, but mostly, TS2. I thought, if it can run TS2, I'll have no trouble running TS3. lol

Field Researcher
#14 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 10:06 PM Last edited by Kunder : 28th Apr 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Ok thanks. I don't have any trouble with mine, but since I know next to nothing about OS, i thought i should ask..might have helped Labellavienna.
Yes, mine is a desktop bought/build especially for TS2 and TS3, but mostly, TS2. I thought, if it can run TS2, I'll have no trouble running TS3. lol
You are welcome.

Not true, necessarily. You may be able to run TS2, but TS3, is even more CPU/GPU intensive. The ThinkPad T420 with NVS 4200m graphics, runs TS2 just fine, but It struggles with TS3.

The ThinkPad T430, on the other hand, with the NVS 5200m, or NVS 5400m graphics, will play TS2 just fine, and will also play TS3 at med-med hi settings.

I've run TS2, and TS3, fifty ways to Adam, and just about on any computer with a hard disk. Some work, some don't.
Scholar
#15 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 12:18 AM
Windows 7 (nor 8.x) won't install on anything with Skylake architecture (iX-6xxx) in normal way, there were attempts but effects were problematic. Last architecture without bigger problems than necessity for manually downloading manufacturer's drivers is Broadwell (iX-5xxx) Anyway, Win7 has no native USB 3.0 drivers, nor UEFI ability (however you can prepare with a bit of tinkering Windows with USB 3.0 drivers, not very nooby thing, though). I'd say it's quite strange idea to compose the machine with almost immediate-outdated system, but people gets desperate these days...

I second @Kunder opinion. While Lenovo products are not the 'ol good ThinkPads, especially the newest models, which unfortunately started to be kinda resemblance of progeny of unholy union between a brick and a MacBook, they're still solid, sturdy, and efficient machines. Just avoid consumer line (IdeaPad and such) these are awful. And because in many companies ThinkPads are standard blue-collar tool, about every 3-4 years the 2nd hand/refurbished market is flooded with used (sometimes barely or not at all) machines when the companies renew theirs fleets. Current very cheap machines for a little money with great return value are T420 up to T450 models, 460 slowly appears on the market but it's not the time yet.

The last model with the great upgradeability (RAM, CPU, drives, panel) was (IIRC) T440p; the T430 has very good opinion (just google it or go r/thinkpad). The one serious downside with ThinkPads (until 460 line) is very often really awful TN panel and better models (like 's') with better IPS panels are more expensive. Even without additional GPU (these NVidias are not very good, honestly and very often just produce more heat without real benefits) such machines are not only very good for the game, but also very good for everything, including working as blunt weapon or body armor (if necessary)

And one note: if you start typing on the ThinkPad keyboard (even these chicklet ones), there's no going back.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Field Researcher
#16 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:52 AM Last edited by Kunder : 29th Apr 2019 at 3:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
Windows 7 (nor 8.x) won't install on anything with Skylake architecture (iX-6xxx) in normal way, there were attempts but effects were problematic. Last architecture without bigger problems than necessity for manually downloading manufacturer's drivers is Broadwell (iX-5xxx) Anyway, Win7 has no native USB 3.0 drivers, nor UEFI ability (however you can prepare with a bit of tinkering Windows with USB 3.0 drivers, not very nooby thing, though). I'd say it's quite strange idea to compose the machine with almost immediate-outdated system, but people gets desperate these days...

I second @Kunder opinion. While Lenovo products are not the 'ol good ThinkPads, especially the newest models, which unfortunately started to be kinda resemblance of progeny of unholy union between a brick and a MacBook, they're still solid, sturdy, and efficient machines. Just avoid consumer line (IdeaPad and such) these are awful. And because in many companies ThinkPads are standard blue-collar tool, about every 3-4 years the 2nd hand/refurbished market is flooded with used (sometimes barely or not at all) machines when the companies renew theirs fleets. Current very cheap machines for a little money with great return value are T420 up to T450 models, 460 slowly appears on the market but it's not the time yet.

The last model with the great upgradeability (RAM, CPU, drives, panel) was (IIRC) T440p; the T430 has very good opinion (just google it or go r/thinkpad). The one serious downside with ThinkPads (until 460 line) is very often really awful TN panel and better models (like 's') with better IPS panels are more expensive. Even without additional GPU (these NVidias are not very good, honestly and very often just produce more heat without real benefits) such machines are not only very good for the game, but also very good for everything, including working as blunt weapon or body armor (if necessary)

And one note: if you start typing on the ThinkPad keyboard (even these chicklet ones), there's no going back.

@ElaineNualla

Incorrect (partially) I have several Skylake (6thGen) laptops running Windows 8.1 properly. The HP Envy (certain ones), the HP15-Pavilion (all of them), and HP15-Gaming machines (all the skylake ones) with the i5, and i7 Skylake processors WILL run Windows 8.1, AND the drivers are available, although, you have to hunt for them now. Some of the Dell skylake laptops will also run Windows 8.1, and quite well, I might add. As I said, I have several Skylake processors running Win 8.1 properly, with no issues. Some MSI Skylake laptops will ALSO run Windows 8.1. I have one of those too. Certain Dell, and HP laptops with Skylakes, were supporting Win7/Windows 8.1 by designation. I've tested them. They work. I downloaded the list of Skylake computers that will (did) support Windows 8.1 from Intel's (OOOPS! I meant MICROSOFT'S website!) website, and bought a couple examples of most of them. I still have some of them. Most were HP, Some were Dell, a couple were MSI. Just a little FYI?, I had an MSI i7-7700 Kaybe Lake, running Windows 8.1, but it was a PAIN to get it running right, I did manage it though . BTW, I've never had any issues, with Win7, and USB 3.0.

Don't believe me? Here's the list!

I own (or owned) most of these.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...stems-supported

Actually, the W540 is as upgradable as the T440p, and even a little more so (W540 has PCI Express, and smart card above the optical drive bay). And I agree. The post W540 ThinkPads, aren't nearly the computers that the T440p, and W540 are.... Very sad. I own several T440p thinkpads, and won't likely part with most of them. You CAN upgrade the T440p to an IPS 1080p display.

This is why I said to get an older thinkpad for running TS2. You can run Windows 7, OR Windows 8.1 on them, and avoid the idiocy of Windows 10/TS2 altogether. Not only that, the BUILD quality of the ThinkPads, are superior to just about any other laptop. They're actually worth keeping around, upgrading, and tinkering with. Upgrades are pretty inexpensive, and VERY easy to do! The Win7, AND Win8.1drivers are readily available on Lenovo's website.

Here's another kicker... The Quad Core CPU's in the T440p, AND W540, will run rings around the new computers, if set up properly.

The T430/T430s are fantastic computers BUT.... You NEED to have the nVidia NVS5200m graphics in them for a good TS2 experience. The HD4000 on-board graphics will run TS2, but not the best in the world. The T420/T420s is also a great "Simming" machine, but once again, you NEED the nVidia NVS4200m graphics here, also. The HD3000 on-board graphics are a real turkey for running TS2. Actually, I gave my nVidia powered, T420 "Dora" to my older daughter. She was playing Sims 2 earlier this evening. Still running smooth as glass!
Scholar
#17 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 8:20 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 29th Apr 2019 at 8:35 PM.
well, these are tailored OEM installations, that's a different story because they have drivers in question already built in. But just try to get standard box and do a normal installation and the cry will start. And actually I know what I'm talking about because I had to deal with stubborn management demanding installation of Windows 7 (Enterprise version) on Skylakes. I used a lot of nsfw vocabulary during the process.

I won't argue about experience and expectation - it's personal. For me HD 3000 worked with TS2 just "almost fine", HD4000 was "just fine". But someone else may have higher expectations, and it's just fine, too. The point with "not worth" with dealing with these NVidia chips is the heat they can produce, especially paired with i7 4 cores CPU, but maybe it's just a flaw of 430 line which in fact was never suppose to run that chip (but you obviously *can* put it in and it will work). W/p series should have better cooling solution, they're "workstations" afterall. On my T450 the game is running great under wine, honestly: much better than on Windows.

Anyway: just get thinkpad, puppy it, love it, and spread the gospel :lovestruc:

[edit:] And yeah, there're newer models with great upgradeability (new P line for example) but we're not talking about 1800$ budget for a 2nd hand/refurbished machine, right?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder

She might also want to look at the video config.log in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs to see if she has the <Not Found in Database> error. If so, THAT needs to be fixed. She may also need the TEXTURE Graphic Rules.sgr for her card.

My computer is considered too "new" for Win7 since I did try to install it but the operating system won't let me. My husband offered to build me a desktop for TS2 only but we have no idea where to start, your suggestions have really helped!!

BTW I looked in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs to find the videoconfig.log that you mentioned but no file with that name exists, did i do something wrong? Is it located somewhere else too? And what is TEXTURE graphics rules? Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help!
Forum Resident
#19 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
My computer is considered too "new" for Win7 since I did try to install it but the operating system won't let me. My husband offered to build me a desktop for TS2 only but we have no idea where to start, your suggestions have really helped!!

BTW I looked in \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs to find the videoconfig.log that you mentioned but no file with that name exists, did i do something wrong? Is it located somewhere else too? And what is TEXTURE graphics rules? Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help!

I believe Kunder meant for you to look at the video entry in your [computername]-config.log to see if your card shows that error. It would show after the === Graphics device info === heading.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
I believe Kunder meant for you to look at the video entry in your [computername]-config.log to see if your card shows that error. It would show after the === Graphics device info === heading.

Oh i see...i checked and it did not say "not found in database". I installed the 4gb update as well as the graphicsrules maker...but i just found out today that Graphicsrulesmaker DOES NOT WORK on my computer for some reason (it could be administrator problems)...this is why ts2 is still flashing pink.

I ran graphicsrulesmaker as administrator this time and i think it actually did update my graphicsrules ...BTW what do i look for in my graphicsrules.sgr to make sure the changes have been updated?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 3:59 AM
My desktop is a new (February) custom built with windows 7. It still gives issues. There are also people playing here on Win 10 with no issues. Basically, your mileage may vary. Crashing and pink flashing is not confined either to old machines or to new win 10 machines.

I am about to upgrade to 32 RAM as my new win 7 machine with Nvidia graphics, 16 RAM, an SSD, and a million and one tweaks to play sims 2 well is still giving me grief. While everyone says I should be able to play sism 2 with as much as cc as I want it simply isn't the case and I am beyond frustrated with it. Since removing down to 14.2 Gigs of content and turning shadows off it has least stopped crashing. Sure I can play with less cc and less graphics but I don't want to and I shouldn't have to. I want a machine that can run up to 18-20Gigs and high res textures and graphics. That is what I asked and paid for and that is still what I haven't got. More RAM is about my last hope.

Go to Documents> the Sims 2 folder. Look for your Logs folder and check the config-log.txt file. That tells you if the patch and graphic rules are working.
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 4096MB
Name (database): GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (whatever your card is, that is mine)
If the patch comes off (it can come off easily) that number will be much lower and your card won't be in the data base.

@Kunder do you think it's my graphics card? Although I know others are using the same one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
My desktop is a new (February) custom built with windows 7. It still gives issues. There are also people playing here on Win 10 with no issues. Basically, your mileage may vary. Crashing and pink flashing is not confined either to old machines or to new win 10 machines.

I am about to upgrade to 32 RAM as my new win 7 machine with Nvidia graphics, 16 RAM, an SSD, and a million and one tweaks to play sims 2 well is still giving me grief. While everyone says I should be able to play sism 2 with as much as cc as I want it simply isn't the case and I am beyond frustrated with it. Since removing down to 14.2 Gigs of content and turning shadows off it has least stopped crashing. Sure I can play with less cc and less graphics but I don't want to and I shouldn't have to. I want a machine that can run up to 18-20Gigs and high res textures and graphics. That is what I asked and paid for and that is still what I haven't got. More RAM is about my last hope.

Go to Documents> the Sims 2 folder. Look for your Logs folder and check the config-log.txt file. That tells you if the patch and graphic rules are working.
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 4096MB
Name (database): GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (whatever your card is, that is mine)
If the patch comes off (it can come off easily) that number will be much lower and your card won't be in the data base.

That's for the 4gb patch and it says 4096 for me. I am talking about graphicsrules which is supposed to be changed by the graphics rules maker (i think)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 4:12 AM
Yes, but it won't show the graphics card in the config-log if the graphics rules are not working, or I assume it won't. I do know that I did both the Config and CSConfig folder in the program files. I was also given a changed video card.sgr for both as well.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yes, but it won't show the graphics card in the config-log if the graphics rules are not working, or I assume it won't. I do know that I did both the Config and CSConfig folder in the program files. I was also given a changed video card.sgr for both as well.

I hvent touched anything in the CSConfig folder because there are no directions anywhere as to what to do in there...they are also both different (the graphics rules) so i cant just copy and paste one into another.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 5:04 AM
Mine look the same. Try going over this https://simscommunity.info/social/t...phics-fix.4081/

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2