Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2019 at 3:37 PM
Default Completely Lost.. I just want to make a mod that lets you enter peoples houses like vampires without being a vampire..
So yeah needless to say I'm new to this. I've been trying to follow tutorials here and everywhere but they all seem to be really old and outdated? Or am I just crazy? Nothing seems coherent enough to make sense of.

I want to basically copy the vampire's always welcome power and make it so humans and anyone else can do a pick lock interaction to get into someone's house without knocking. Probably a pointless mod seeing as I've never been denied entrance with knocking but I wanted to see if I could do it and it turns out I cant' quite figure it out.

The problem I'm facing is I don't want to have to edit every single door so there has to be a way to edit the pie menu that shows the knock on door /vampiric entrance option. Which I THINK is a SuperInteraction? I'm not sure it's all so confusing. I pulled what I imagine is the relevant xml but I'm not sure what to make of it. My programming experience is rather limited to simple c# and unity

I can pick out pieces of the xml that I think I need but I'm not sure how to go about removing the vampire elements or changing the interaction display names without it being a custom object I imagine I need more xmls. Sorry if this is super simple stuff but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Is there somewhere I can turn for more in depth information? Everything out there seems to assume I know more than I do I guess.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Nov 2019 at 3:58 PM
This is definitely not super simple stuff. It seems like you've managed to extract the game tuning XML files, so now you need to do the copy, edit, and inject.

Whatever tuning XML file you found that you think is correct has to be copied and made standalone by editing its name and instance ID. You can use something like Sims4Studio Hash Generator to make a new Instance ID which is inserted in the 's' value, and the new name is inserted in the 'n' value, in the second line of the XML file, the <I></I> section.

Then you need to edit the XML file, remove anything that is not relevant and modify everything else to your liking. You can use the TDESC Browser by our savior Scumbumbo to learn about what does what: http://modthesims.info/t/555233

Once you have your file ready, you need it injected. As you stated, you don't want to edit every door. To avoid doing it, you need to inject your new interaction into doors. As expected, our savior Scumbumbo made a tutorial on how to do it. That's how I learned it too: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...110#post4710110
The best approach would be to inject into objects based on their tags rather than their ID, but I unfortunately don't have the time to go into details on it. If you persist and continue learning, I'm sure you will figure out how with time.

And that should be it. You mentioned it being a lockpicking interaction, so I assume you would be trying to give it a custom animation at some point too. That's not that difficult, you need to figure out how to use constraints (you can read about them in TDESC) and how to construct a basic animation script.

The main issue you might encounter is that you can't go into empty houses, as visiting other houses/apartments depends on a situation flag that uncovers the lot. To counter that you need to create a new situation that triggers for your Sim once you lockpick the door. Once again though, I don't have enough time to go into details on that.