Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2020 at 4:40 PM
Default How to fix new clothes mesh glitches?

Hello everyone! I’m here today to ask for some help from anyone who is more practiced in converting and meshing than me (it’s not hard to be, because I’m a total beginner...). So I successfully finished my first TS2 Adult to Teen conversions, I was super happy and excited to share them with the world, but when I loaded the game to take some photos, I just realized there are a few ugly glitches when sims moving around, which I didn’t realized in Milkshape or Bodyshop. I’ve spent days to find a solution, I’ve read thorugh the tutorial database, tried some suggestions, but still I don’t know how to fix these! TT-TT

So please, If anyone has any suggestions with this for a dullish like me, I’d be really greatful!

(I also had a similar issue when I converted some ball gowns from TS4 to TS2)

(Fixing underweighted bones didn’t help)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2020 at 9:00 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Feb 2020 at 4:47 PM.
Looks like wrongly assigned bones, which is a problem with the auto tools that transfer bone weights when you convert 3t2/4t2. They don't quite seem to handle the areas around arms and legs, and tend to get these areas mixed up a little because they're too close together.

Mark one of the bad vertices, go to the Joints menu in Milkshape, click "show", check if there are any joints that shouldn't be on the list (left knee assigned for the right knee, or similar), then you may have to either set that joint to 0, or remove it by selecting the dropdown boxes and setting the numbers. Make sure the weights add up to 100.

It may be a good idea to import in an ingame mesh that looks similar, so you can copy the weights (mark on this mesh, click "show", mark vertex on your mesh, click "assign") and use the weight colors (tick "draw vertices with bone colors") as a guide. If any colors look very different from the maxis mesh, there's most likely a problem in that area.

Also make sure the comments for the mesh are proper (make sure the "NumSkinWgts" is set to 3). If it is lower or missing, it doesn't blend the joint assignments properly.

I sometimes use the ANIM mode to check if the assignments work properly (you can rotate the bones and see if there are any problem areas without having to go in and out of the game), but make sure you've saved any progress first. The ANIM mode can occasionally cause problems with the mesh, so it's not a good idea to save that mesh for export. I'll often do all the fixes and testing, and then export/import the mesh into a new file with an untouched skeleton, just to be on the safe side.

There may be other ways to fix it, but this is what I do, anyway...

EDIT: Added a comparison picture of roughly how a mesh would look like if the NumSkinWgts is (or was at some point) set to the wrong number, or if there are issues in the mesh that need to be fixed after conversion. It has to do with translation issues (not sure how many levels of joint assignments the auto converter takes into account, but it seems to be about 2 instead of 4, and does occasionally leave out some areas, which is why I'm not too big a fan of the auto converters) - the colors show if you click the "draw vertices with bone colors" under the Joints tab in Milkshape. With the colors, selected vertices don't show up red, so it's best to not have it on unless you're doing anything with the joint assignments.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Feb 2020 at 1:19 PM
Thank you so much! It took me a while to figure it out how this workes and fix this, but I guess it has worked. I still have to check it in the game. Although I could'nt fix the issue you can see on the sitting sim on the picture I posted before, but I realized it's not the problem of my conversion, but the original AF jeans.