Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2020 at 12:21 PM
Default I need help separating tuning flies
Hello again

I've been trying to make lamps of my choosing off-the-grid functional.
I've been sucessful with the table lamps and with one floor/outdoor lamp but all the other floor-/outdoor-, wall- and ceilinglamps use the same object tuning ID.

That means that when I make one of those lamps off-the-grid functional, all the others are, too. I don't even know how that's possible since it's not a script or core mod.

So far I've tried:
Assigning different tuning ID's
Renaming the tuning file for each lamp
Creating a new xml from scratch

Do I seriously have to create a script/core mod for every single lamp I want to make otg-functional without affecting all the others or am I simply missing something else?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Feb 2020 at 7:17 PM
Tuning files are not script/core mods, and they don't need to be script/core mods to affect all those lamps. They are all referencing and using the same tuning file. It's just like recolors that add new swatches but require the original mesh. It's better, when changing tuning files that can possibly be referenced by multiple objects/files that you don't want changed, to create a new tuning file in it's place. So even though the other ones were successful, there's also no guarantee they weren't being used by something else you didn't catch. You don't technically need to create a new one for every single lamp though, you just need to create a single new tuning file that fits one group of lamps so they keep all their original features, and do this for every unique group of lamps. In case that's confusing, you said that all the wall, ceiling, floor/outdoor lamps/lights use the same object tuning ID. That means you only need to create one file for that batch and change the ID on all the ones you want OTG. This will make the original electricity ones remain the same while the obvious candles/lamps have your new tuning ID.

All you need to do is import the original tuning file, go to the Data tab, then type your name with a : at the end of it and finish the file name with whatever suits your mod. So it should look like Anonymouse85:WallLamp_OffTheGrid or something similar. The longer and more specific the better. This will assign a new tuning ID and instance to that file once you click away. Copy this new tuning ID and replace the one referenced in the Object Definition (for each Object Definition too). Do this for every single lamp in that group that used the previous tuning ID. Hopefully everything I said made sense.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Feb 2020 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
Tuning files are not script/core mods, and they don't need to be script/core mods to affect all those lamps. They are all referencing and using the same tuning file. It's just like recolors that add new swatches but require the original mesh. It's better, when changing tuning files that can possibly be referenced by multiple objects/files that you don't want changed, to create a new tuning file in it's place. So even though the other ones were successful, there's also no guarantee they weren't being used by something else you didn't catch. You don't technically need to create a new one for every single lamp though, you just need to create a single new tuning file that fits one group of lamps so they keep all their original features, and do this for every unique group of lamps. In case that's confusing, you said that all the wall, ceiling, floor/outdoor lamps/lights use the same object tuning ID. That means you only need to create one file for that batch and change the ID on all the ones you want OTG. This will make the original electricity ones remain the same while the obvious candles/lamps have your new tuning ID.

All you need to do is import the original tuning file, go to the Data tab, then type your name with a : at the end of it and finish the file name with whatever suits your mod. So it should look like Anonymouse85:WallLamp_OffTheGrid or something similar. The longer and more specific the better. This will assign a new tuning ID and instance to that file once you click away. Copy this new tuning ID and replace the one referenced in the Object Definition (for each Object Definition too). Do this for every single lamp in that group that used the previous tuning ID. Hopefully everything I said made sense.

Thank you so much! I was going almost crazy, had sometimes 3 different instances of the Sims4Studio running and couldn'f find the difference. I did suspect that it's not only dependant on the tuning ID but also on the instance numbers. Aw this will help me a lot with a few other projects I've had in mind for a long time now, a lot of things make sense now!