Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2020 at 9:25 PM
Default Peggyhair 746 Conversion to Sims 4- Problems
Hello to all
I am rather new to creating for the Sims, and I am trying to convert Peggy male hair 746 to Sims 4.
This male hair was made for both Sims 2 and Sims 3 by the creator. I would like to convert it for Sims 4, but I have run into a number of issues. I clearly don't understand weights as it doesn’t even fit the head in a normal fashion. It's rather to the side, and I don't know how to get the transparency of the hair strands working. I provided the weird recolor that you see, as well as a blonde recolor at least using Peggy’s sims 2 textures.

I'm looking for help with this. I'd really appreciate it. I'm eager to learn what I don't know as well. I painted the hair with a weight paint of blue..originally red..neither work for me. I don't know that technique well. 

I have attached my Sims 4.package file along with the resources I used to make my attempt.

I did use the Simglass shaded, but it didn’t make it look transparent unfortunately. I used the Sims 2 version of the mesh because the UV map looked somewhat better.

Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 27th Feb 2020 at 12:58 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 27th Feb 2020 at 1:12 PM.
I see four problems right away:

-Your mesh is assigned to a non-existent bone, probably a TS2 bone. This is why the hair isn't placed right on the head. For a short hair like this everything can be assigned to b__Head__.
-The texture isn't right for an alpha/glass hair. The texture must be transparent where the mesh should be transparent. If you look at the textures of other glass hairs, you'll see how the texture is feathered against a transparent background at the ends and edges of the strands. This is why the strands of your hair look blocky.
-There's no vertex color. For a hair like this with no scalp parts, the whole mesh should be colored green: 007F00.
-There's no uv1, which is used to morph the hair to fit different head shapes.

You can try CAS Tools to fix the mesh problems: Open the package in the Clone Package Editor tab, inside that go to the Mesh Fixing Tools tab, click the big 'Auto-Assign All' button, click the Commit button, and save as a new package.

If you're using Sims 4 Studio and Blender you'll need to ask in the S4S forum since I don't know Blender well enough to help.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4