Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2024 at 9:16 AM
Default What's going on in your Sims 1 game?
I don't think we have a thread like this, but please show me pics and tell me about what's going on in your Sims game at the moment!

I have my grand daughter visiting, and she likes playing Sims 1 with me. She met Sim Sample today:

Bad party (mime arrived!):

Great party (Drew Carey arrived!):

Cooking lunch:

Trying to be famous:
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Feb 2024 at 9:53 AM Last edited by ed95 : 18th Feb 2024 at 9:59 PM.
Aww great idea, @simsample!! I'll see if I can posta any pictures today, I'd love to participate.

Btw, how is not Sim Sample famous yet?? He knows Drew Carey!!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Feb 2024 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ed95
Btw, hos is not Sim Sample famous yet?? He knows Drew Carey!!

He's had many incarnations in Sims 1, this is a brand new install this week because grand daughter wanted to see. He's been famous before, but also has died a million deaths... This time I'm being nice to him and he has his house right from the start without having to earn it (You can see this house in Sims 2 here). Also, here in the UK I had no idea who Drew Carey was when Sims 1 was released, so Sim Sample considers him a bit of a nobody

Looking forward to your pictures!
Test Subject
#4 Old 21st Feb 2024 at 3:15 AM
What a great idea. I love how you play Sims with your granddaughter. I played for years with my grandson (who's 21 now); his fave house was a dad, kids, and a bunch of pets. (He originally wanted it to be a kids-&-pets-only house but couldn't bring himself to "kill" the dad.) I've since made a kids-only house on my own (with pets).
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2024 at 8:14 AM Last edited by EphemeralToast : 23rd Feb 2024 at 8:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Bad party (mime arrived!):

Nope, sorry, any party with naked hot tubbing is A Good Party.

Right now I'm playing the Maxis premade families for the first time ever...

Bob and Betty's weird little house got a huge makeover with the money from Bob's successful gnome carving business, but Betty still isn't satisfied and started having a tawdry affair with Brad Burb (mostly because I couldn't remember which interactions are platonic... oops. It's been 20 years!). Their relationship was already on the rocks since they spawned with no interests in common and can't have a decent conversation, plus Bob NEVER flushes the damn toilet and it's getting on Betty's/my last nerve. Betty's working as a nurse and "borrowed" some equipment from work to brew up some potions at home and surprisingly got the yellow one first try, but then she/I couldn't bring herself to make Bob drink it and become the serious, toilet-flushing spouse she wants. Not sure how this is going to end, but it definitely will, probably when Betty and Brad start making out in public when I'm not controlling them.

Don't tell Betty that Brad doesn't flush that much either. Ugh

One night I forgot when Bob was coming home from his day job and while this was happening...

...Bob was wondering where Betty got those nice flowers. Close call, but Brad slipped out the back.

Meanwhile Brad and Tiffany fell out of love when he kept rejecting her autonomous romance actions. Apparently the whole Green Acres thing isn't working out for them. Brad works in the garden all day, cooks, and cleans while Tiffany's out toiling away as a junior exec for some makeup conglomerate and they rarely interact now. Poor Johnny is oblivious to his parents' failing marriage and blissfully happy just playing with his dog. At least someone in the house is happy. I was hoping to send Brad and Betty on vacation together but it doesn't seem like it's possible to send Sims from different households together so I guess they won't be making out on that bearskin rug yet.

The Goths are annoying moochers who show up to dingdong every single new move-in, steal their lunch, and poop in their toilets. You people are rich, you don't need free meals from your neighbors! Go away! Bella and Mortimer aren't getting along so well (are you noticing a pattern?) and Mort's been spending too much time with the sexy evil witch on the other side of town, mostly because he works nights and I need someone to test spells on during the day. He'll probably get abracadabraed into her household and then sent to swim in a ladderless pool. That will teach him to whip out that stupid puppet everywhere he goes. Bella's been spending lots of time in Magic Town herself since she's too posh to get a real job, and I'm sure she'll be able to find some creepy magic guy to bring home should anything untoward happen to her current husband. Cassandra is... there. Kids bore me. At least she's tidy.

Michael Bachelor has been hopping from job to job to job, unable to figure out exactly what he wants to do. He's walked dogs, delivered mail, flipped burgers, even sang at weddings for a while. He spent a long time as a wake-and-bake bubble blower, eating pizza for breakfast and talking about the 60's with his townie friend the conspiracy theorist. But he finally found direction when he met Tonya Townie, the nicest NPC ever. I don't think they've had a single bad social interaction. She loves his stupid jokes and tickles and doesn't care that he doesn't flush because she doesn't either (Maxis, WHY). They got hitched and it turns out she's a lounge singer with almost the same lazy, goofy personality as Michael. So I built them a tacky swingin' lounge for a house and Michael's new ambition is to turn it into a party palace so legendary that people will pay him just to party with them.

Even Crumplebottom can't stop their love (or their constant nattering about the 60's)

Apparently this is the only shot I have of the house, which is sad, since it rivals the Mashugas' in tackiness

Chris and Melissa have done extremely well in their careers and been able to move out of their little starter home into a nice duplex I built for them. Chris has a strong interest in politics and found a job working for local assemblyman Chad Gladhaand (distant relation of the Landgraabs, but he got where he is on his own, of course). After spending so many long evenings together working on the campaign, she even developed a crush on him, but that ended when he tried to take advantage and got too grabby. After she stormed out of the office and the entire campaign in a huff, she decided to find a new career with less jerks in it, and foolishly chose the world of fashion. She loves the creativity of her current work as a fashion photographer, but sometimes the snobbery of the Somebodies really gets her down. It's hard to make any new friends when they will barely even talk to her! She decided that she needs to look within for the change she wants in her life, and has begun consulting a mysterious spiritual advisor who has already helped her to become more organized.

(Give me the damn Active boost, I am begging you)

Melissa has the improbable yet delightful job of animal acting coach. The money's good and she loves working with animals, but it's a draining job and she comes home every day exhausted. It's hard to keep up with her friends like Michael Bachelor, let alone find any nice girls to date. So I cheated and made her one...

Most of my townies are jerks, so I made a couple households of nice sims and put them in an empty field with a phone. Yay! Romantic!

Yasmin laughs at her jokes and even likes watching silly cartoons with her and Chris. And maybe with a third person around, they could actually have their own animal friend at home and not just at work. (I hate leaving sim pets home alone, I feel bad when they howl sadly in the empty house...)

Speaking of animals, the Hick household has become the de facto animal shelter of the neighborhood. I decided SOMEONE needed to feed the poor strays, and they seem to like dogs, plus all their crap is out on the lawn anyway. Unfortunately this means their already messy lot is also constantly covered in pee and turds, and half their meager income goes to buying dog chow, but somehow they make it work. Elden brings in most of the kibble money leading whitewater rapids expeditions, and Mama helps out tearing tickets down at the carnival and churning butter at home when her back isn't bothering her. This is a rough household to play because of some limits I imposed (no maid, no advanced careers, no expensive furniture, no expanding the trailer) and every day is a challenge but the animals ALWAYS stay fed. And Elden's even met a nice girl who doesn't seem to mind the smell of dog poop and tried to make a move on him. I hope that works out because this household needs more money-making and poop-scooping humans in it!

I hope more people post in this thread, I want to hear more stories!
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2024 at 11:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EphemeralToast
Nope, sorry, any party with naked hot tubbing is A Good Party.

Not if Sim Sample is there perving over everyone!

That will teach him to whip out that stupid puppet everywhere he goes.

That made me laugh so much! Why does he always do that?

Fabulous stories @EphemeralToast I really enjoyed reading that, I've never played the premades either, except for very briefly, I'll give it a go next time!
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2024 at 9:35 PM Last edited by YoNonna : 23rd Feb 2024 at 11:34 PM.
I decided to try a Maxis Match theme using the Green (Crimson) Bedroom theme. They are a young married couple and also dressed in green and crimson. They moved here from a small mobile home, lived frugally and saved, and are now exploring their new home and furnishings. They are self-employed, one an artist and the other a novelist.

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 11:25 PM
Hi everyone!!! Finally got around with playing this game -I've missed it so much these days!!

@simsample, I've been actually following Sim Smaple since I first entered this forum, I find him very interesting and quirky, and I love his "Anyhthing Goes" attitude.

@EphemeralToast awww I love Neighbouhood 1!!! The sequels have made them look so "perfect" and average that I tend to forget how much fun I had with them when I was a kid. I tended to have the Goths be miserable (since I was a pretty bad Watcher for them), and mostly centered on the quirky dinamic Chris and Melissa had.

I'm certainly not surprised Bob and Betty are on the rocks in your game; on mine, it was Bella and Bob the ones who had an affair, which I guess comes from her being such a cold-hearted woman (a trait I think adult Cassandra got from her), and Betty being so abrasive. Not that I don't blame Bob -he was the one who wanted to score with the red dressed sedductress on the first place. I see Brad and Tiffany's marriage on a rut, since once you start the game they ALWAYS are really nasty around each other. I finally was able to have them make amends by sending them on vacation -bot boy was that difficult. I just don't understand why they got married on the first place; they don't really look that very much alike, and Brad isn't THAT good of a housekeeper -not that she is either. Yeah, I'm pretty cynical with my simmies tee he.

Btw, you can send two sims on vacation, but is a bit tricky: it has to be done over the phone, were you have three options: just talk, invite over or invite out. You can then invite the sim on a date to Downton, Vacation Island or Old Town.

Yeah, the Goths can become really boring really quickly, family graveyard or not. They look too strait-laced, which is a pity if you ask me ─maybe using some Livin' Large objects or making Bella a witch gives them more things to do. Or having Bella and Mortimer have an opne relationship, since they look really horny too. Now you've got me thinking...

Awww Michael Bachelor is really endearing!!! I love him and like to give him lots to do, since he's such a blank slate ─just like you did. I tended to pair him with Chris, but he may be more interesting as a unorganized ditzy stoner mess, as you did. I love him even either way, even if he doesn't flush the toilet!

Chris and Melissa are really the MVP of Nhood 1!!! I don't want no Newbies; they can do anything and really give me good vibes. See, I always saw Chris are the more childish, immature one and Melissa as a no-nonsense breadwinner, but I believe now that's backwards ─I CAN really see Melissa as this quirky, free-spirited young woman, and Chris as a more focused and materialistic carrer woman. As 90% of simmers, I tended to make them a couple ─but more often than not was content seeing Melissa's unlucky love life. I think they make a great duo, hoping to play them on my game.

And I just love the Hicks ─I like to impose rules on myself so they don't become too succesful, since they actually seem to like being kind of trashy ─Mama gives me an air of an alternative, outsider-and-proud-of-it countercultural icon. Kind of like Trashella on Sims 1 tumblr.

@YoNonna, even if TS1 is really complicated for building certain things, I like what you did with the gree-red theme. It looks so cozy!!! I love these kind of artistic and rustic families. I've never actually done a little living-room as you did ─I'll try that on my next house.

I kind of got carried away, didn't I? I'll put on a spoiler what I did on my game, since I don't want to scare anyone with my walls of text.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 11:46 PM
Great pictures @ed95 !

Dolores has the dubious honor of being the first sim I've ever seen infected by the mysterious Guinea Pig disease; it seems pretty random, since the cage was really clean ─and the animal likes to bit just about anyone. She starts coughing and sneezing for a pretty long time, tanking her Comfort and Energy motives. On a throwback to 2019, I've quarantined her in what is actually Isaiah's room. I just hope she doesn't die on me!

Oh no! It's no fun trying to get them better, very difficult! I hope she pulls through. I hope the guinea pig is okay, too!

I'm still not sure about what to do with the house. Now they have pocket money to either expand, buy new objects or completely remodel the house if I decide to tear it apart ─but I'm not sure about what style I want it to have.

Well, you know- Sim Sample is right there with Frasier and the Mashugas. Eclectic all the way! And the tackier, the better.
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 1:09 AM
Thank you for your kind words ed95.
Test Subject
#11 Old 8th Mar 2024 at 3:55 AM
awww I love Neighbouhood 1!!! The sequels have made them look so "perfect" and average that I tend to forget how much fun I had with them when I was a kid.

Maxis would have us believe that they all stayed married forever, had happy kids, and then died, and meanwhile they went out of their way to set up the most family-destroying drama possible from the moment you unpause in the sequel. Well I think the OG Sims deserve the chance to mess up their lives too!

Quote:
And I just love the Hicks ─I like to impose rules on myself so they don't become too succesful, since they actually seem to like being kind of trashy

Same, I've seen people clean them up and build them a nice house with classy furniture, but to me the neighborhood just doesn't feel complete without the trailer with the pinball machine on the lawn....

Quote:
Dolores has the dubious honor of being the first sim I've ever seen infected by the mysterious Guinea Pig disease; it seems pretty random, since the cage was really clean ─and the animal likes to bit just about anyone.

Ooh, that's horrible but also kind of exciting... I still haven't had a sim catch the disease yet! Yes, the guinea pig is VERY cranky and seems to bite just about everyone even when you take great care of it, which hardly seems fair. I hope everyone pulls through!

Quote:
That same night, Claire the Bear raided the Richards' trashcan and awoke everyone in the house ─Cole was specially upset:
─Get out of here, you vile beast!

I thought Claire was so cute and funny the first 12 or 18 times she appeared. Now I cheer when she gets stung by bees.

Quote:
Any thoughts on what I can do with the building??

Hmm, since it's in two "pieces," maybe make each of them have its own style? Tacky vs. classy, country vs. modern, or maybe just normal vs. Guinea Pig Shrine? But I agree you can't go wrong with Mashuga style! :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 4:52 PM
Sim Sample has managed to get slightly famous (2.5 stars, a 'sell out'! ) so he rewarded himself with a nice holiday. I am trying to have him win all of the souvenir prozes- so far he has the penguin, skull and creepy baby.

He bought a mask and sent a postcard to Mama Hick!

I like this picture, it has all of my favourites- Barney the Carnie, the Obsessed fan, Marky Sharkey and Sunny the tragic clown.

Ozzy (my name for the obsessed fan) kept getting in the way of chicken throwing until Kana the vacation director told him to leave!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 5:09 PM
Ozzy (my name for the obsessed fan) kept getting in the way of chicken throwing until Kana the vacation director told him to leave!

Wow, that's interesting! I've never actually taken my stars on vacation, so I had no idea the vacation director would shoo him away.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
Wow, that's interesting! I've never actually taken my stars on vacation, so I had no idea the vacation director would shoo him away.

It may have been a coincidence, as the fan leaves after a time anyway. But I thought it was funny that she spoke to him and he left right away!

It can be a bit creepy having an obsessed fan on holiday, they will watch you during moments when you'd really rather be alone!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 6:39 PM
It can be a bit creepy having an obsessed fan on holiday, they will watch you during moments when you'd really rather be alone!

Wow, creepy, indeed! The resort really needs one of these.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 9:26 PM
Wow, creepy, indeed! The resort really needs one of these.

I like him though, he makes me laugh when he does that excited 'OMG I'm going to pee my pants' jig!

I had no idea the vacation director would shoo him away.

After I posted here, I saw it happen again and Kana definitely directs him to leave the lot. He came back a few minutes later, though!

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 17th Mar 2024 at 5:13 PM
I like him though, he makes me laugh when he does that excited 'OMG I'm going to pee my pants' jig!

I never see the Obsessed Fan, but I'm also not using the SomeSimThings mod that removes him. I make friends with lots of Anybodies, so he never spawns. Maybe I'll try not doing that the next time I play someone in the Fame career, since it's been a long time since I've seen his antics. Thanks for the reminder!

Test Subject
#18 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 7:03 AM
Oh, simsample,

That is tooo funny about the fan; I love it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 11:49 AM
Maybe I'll try not doing that the next time I play someone in the Fame career, since it's been a long time since I've seen his antics. Thanks for the reminder!

There's so much to do in this game, not enough time in the universe to do it all! Next, I want to get Sim famous enough for the fan to leave some black roses, then work on completing all of the magic spells and charms.

Quote: Originally posted by YoNonna
That is tooo funny about the fan; I love it.

Sims 1 definitely has more himour in it than the later iterations, I think Sims 2 was closest, but Sims 3 and 4 seem to take themselves rather more seriously, I think.
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 10:31 AM
I have never seen "Ozzy" (lol) on vacation, but the clown is a regular visitor even when I banish every dang picture of him from the lot, so I am deeply grateful to the Director for her efforts in keeping the riff-raff off the premises!

Well, since last time I talked about the Maxis families, this time I shall regale you with tales of some of the sim families I made.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 1:40 PM
@EphemeralToast I absolutely love the Ippies, you have some great ideas to make the game fun! I love your lots too, great interior decorating.

I have never seen "Ozzy" (lol) on vacation, but the clown is a regular visitor even when I banish every dang picture of him from the lot

@YoNonna How are your self-employed sims working out? I could have sworn I replied to you earlier about your house, but it seems not (sorry). I do like that house colour scheme, really cheerful!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 5:28 PM
@EphemeralToast, Love your sense of humor, and you're wonderfully creative about finding new ways to play! It seems a shame for those to get lost in the looong report on your sims. Would you consider making a new thread, called something like "Ideas for New Ways to Play?" Or you could turn it into a Challenge, since people seem to like those...

Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Mar 2024 at 6:15 AM
I absolutely love the Ippies, you have some great ideas to make the game fun! I love your lots too, great interior decorating.

Thank you! I had a whole lot of fun "shopping" to decorate the Ippie pad!

Would you consider making a new thread, called something like "Ideas for New Ways to Play?" Or you could turn it into a Challenge, since people seem to like those...

I tried doing a search and it doesn't look like there is a challenge thread in this forum, so I guess I can start one! I don't really have an end goal for most of my gameplay tweaks, but then I guess the 8 Sim Challenge is just "8 sims, GO" so maybe that's not a problem.

A while back, I tried adapting the Sims 2 Asylum Challenge to the Sims 1, but I didn't even make it a day before half the sims burned to death in a kitchen fire... guess I needed some more tweaks. This game is brutal!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 13th Apr 2024 at 11:02 PM Last edited by ed95 : 14th Apr 2024 at 12:07 AM.
I'm back! As I said on another thread, I have some real life sad business to tend to. But I played a little the other day, intending to share. Thanks to everyone for replying and keeping this thread alive!! @YoNonna, a pleasure to read you!! Also @Corylea and @simsample. I find Vacation Island rather boring, specially with one sim; having the Obsessed Fan busking around should really make it more fun!! BTW, what's Sim Sample speciality on Studio Town?

Yeah, @simsample, I agree TS1 had more dark humor and irony compared to its successors. BTW, thanks for all the feedback on the Richards'; I specially liked the idea of keeping the two houses separate. Let's see what I can get; I can picture Brooke going for a maximalists' 80's style.

I really love your families, @EphemeralToast! Lately I've been struggling on thing up interesting scenarios apart from the "Get a Job, Get a Life" etc etc typical of TS. I agree with Tiffany that you always have to dress to impress; she seems to have the attitude to be a socialite wife -but does she have the fakeness that it takes? Guess she fell in love with Chad during his past as a male stripper -pardon me, "adult entertainer"- from the Chad Surprise Cake company.

I love the alternative families you have!!! I specially like the Ippies, and wonder how would they behave on Old Town. They will NOT stand for the overcommercialization of it!! I would like to see more of the Traylors and their home; really interesting and, as said, you have amazing deocrating skills!!! Wonder where your ideas for playing and decorating come from.

So many good ideas for playing!! Gotta try that loan download; my following family could use it...

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 14th Apr 2024 at 11:49 AM
I find Vacation Island rather boring, specially with one sim; having the Obsessed Fan busking around should really make it more fun!! BTW, what's Sim Sample speciality on Studio Town?

Oh, I hadn't decided yet! What do you think he'd be best at? In previous times when I've played him, he's done a lot of singing- he didn't seem to mess that up as much as the acting! What do you recommend he should try? I haven't played superstar track that much, so there's probably lots I don't know avout or have missed.

So, firstly, on the category of "things I didn't know I still have on my game, turns out I still have my "urban/university-style" town, and I built quite a lot from the look of it!! It's my personal Neighbourhood 8, with lots of apartment buildings (via @IngeJones Simlogical mods), and I even built a campus for it!

Ooh, that looks interesting! I never thought of doing that, what an interesting idea. Nice buildings too!

I eventually wanted to make on another family Elthon's mom, who divorced John, and challenge the "house of men" stabilty, but got stalled with this neighbourhood. That's why I specially liked all your ideas; I would really like to make thematic families in order to spice up Neighbourhood 3 ─since, as is, the Denvers and a couple of other families I have here are pretty grindy. So any idea is very welcome!!!

I would definitely have a party to start with, perhaps John will make some new friends and meet someone special? Also, how about a holiday for them all? Family holidays might make vacation island better.
Page 1 of 2