Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#76 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
I just hope it's open-world. Any other flaws can pretty much be worked around apart from that one.

I agree 100%
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 10:24 AM
Don't forget some form of Story Progression as well, preferably one that works. Just like open-world, the critiques I see always revolve around the implementation and not the actual concept.
Scholar
#78 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 5:24 PM
It amazes how many still trust EA and expect a great TS5. TS4 has only been successful by force, this is today and this is what you get, already even if their is a single play option, just the multi-play option is just turning me off it...
Alchemist
Original Poster
#79 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
It amazes how many still trust EA and expect a great TS5. TS4 has only been successful by force, this is today and this is what you get, already even if their is a single play option, just the multi-play option is just turning me off it...

It literally says in my original post players will be able to play solo. So why would a feature you don't have to use turn you off of it?
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 30th Oct 2022 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
It literally says in my original post players will be able to play solo. So why would a feature you don't have to use turn you off of it?

From experience, once publishers force developers to shoe-horn in multiplayer, everyone suffers. They focus so much of their attention on the MP that any kind of solo experience is neglected and left to rot. In the meantime, the MP that gets attention ends up being riddled with problems they can't fix because they're trying to add it to a game that was never really built for it in the first place. It's just a mess.

Now this isn't always true: there's exceptions to the rule. Mass Effect built its multiplayer very carefully and to tremendous force - they treat it separately from the main game and it worked. But for example, look at SimCity, Dead Island, Fallout 76, Dead Space 2, and Red Dead Redemption 2. Heck, RDR2's MP doesn't even get updates anymore. Now, you could level that at least some of the single player modes in these games still stand up. True. But here's the thing, The Sims always releases expansions and 'kits' and what-not. Having that contend with multiplayer support?

Might as well take a dump in the cake mix right now.

Eternally skipping life's jump rope.
Instructor
#81 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 2:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I'm a bit in shock ... we waited YEARS for that crappy little presentation about some buy/build mode? The TS3 and even TS4 announcements were so ambitious but this..

It's a red flag. This is how Sims 4 started too.

Leading up to Sims 4's release, we didn't get much preview of actual gameplay in a way that wasn't heavily scripted and controlled. Instead they focused heavily on new Build Mode tools.

As I recall, Sims 2's previews were mostly showing off things like how clocks now accurately tracked time, chess games showed actual piece movements, and the various life stages and aspirations. It was a good mix of everything.

Sims 3? The open world took centerstage for all previews.

Sims 4? Build mode, probably because the actual gameplay was garbage.

Sims 5? Whelp, here we are again. It just begs the question what gameplay looks like, or if they've even begun with it.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 3:07 PM
Hmm:

Quote:
Nicknamed Project Rene and currently in the early stages of development, it would seem that The Sims 5 has already been cracked and pirated by certain third parties. These hackers have managed to replicate the Denuvo tokens used to grant access to the game, as The Sims 5 started its playtesting stage on October 25.
Quote:
As a result of this crack, the Sims community might get its answer sooner rather than later. According to Insider Gaming, whom the group of hackers contacted following their success, this early unencrypted prototype of The Sims 5 runs on Unreal Engine, and it is assumed that Electronic Arts plans to release the game under Unreal Engine 5 should the prototype meet the company's expectations – thus making full use of its powerful capabilities and advanced rendering technology.
Quote:
As opposed to The Sims 4 pivoting from a multiplayer game into singleplayer, The Sims 5 will have a stronger identity in its development. One of its more exciting multiplayer components is its implementation in the Build and Buy mode, allowing players to collaborate on designing a house together with ease and establishing a strong social component to the game. Though the crack allows the hackers to play The Sims 5 in a P2P network outside the official Electronic Arts servers, it is unknown as yet if the group has any plans to make the access token generator public.

https://gamerant.com/sims-5-pirated/

Oh geez, multiplayer build-buy?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#83 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
https://gamerant.com/sims-5-pirated/

See, I quite like the sound of that. There have been lots of times when I've been building Sims 3 worlds with other players, or working with someone on a Sims 2 neighbourhood where I would have found this very useful. I can imagine more uses for multiplayer build/ create rather than multiplayer live mode, anyway!
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 5:47 PM
Why do I get the feeling EA is trying to emulate the success of Minecraft? Never mind Paralives, Minecraft is the ultimate social simulation game right now. If making TS5 a cross-platform online/multiplayer experience isn't emulating Minecraft's business model, then I don't know what is. Seeing how Mojang continues to grow and maintain a steady player base without a single sequel is incredible. It's a good model for the live service game EA desperately wants to turn the Sims franchise into. I wouldn't be surprised if EA decided to bring back the Sims Store or combine it with their new modding platform. Imagine the Sims Marketplace. The only place to buy bundles of player-created content for 1500 sim points.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 11:42 PM
I don’t think anything they showed looked bad, I actually think the real time collaboration thing is a little neat. It’s up in the air if that type of together play extends outside of build/buy, but if it does it looks like it will be invite only where one player is required to be the host and it’s not a truly shared space. That’s a plus imo.

I think it’s too early to base a solid opinion on the game as a whole. They showed off the connectivity features, not even really build mode. They look pretty developed. In terms of art style the game didn’t appear to have a finalized look, but it absolutely has a larger visual budget than Sims 4. The throw blanket on the couch had more polygons than any object in Sims 4.

I’m sure there will be more updates early next year, I mean they’re play testing already. For it being super early in development there seemed to be quite a bit already there. Time will tell, but I kind of think that was a front to avoid turning people away from Sims 4.
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 13th Nov 2022 at 5:22 PM Last edited by xSwitchback : 13th Nov 2022 at 7:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Hmm:

"As opposed to The Sims 4 pivoting from a multiplayer game into singleplayer, The Sims 5 will have a stronger identity in its development. One of its more exciting multiplayer components is its implementation in the Build and Buy mode, allowing players to collaborate on designing a house together with ease and establishing a strong social component to the game."

Oh good. Now I can fight over wallpaper swatches with randomers online and not just with my partner in real life. What a great idea.

Mad Poster
#87 Old 13th Nov 2022 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism

Leading up to Sims 4's release, we didn't get much preview of actual gameplay in a way that wasn't heavily scripted and controlled. Instead they focused heavily on new Build Mode tools.

As I recall, Sims 2's previews were mostly showing off things like how clocks now accurately tracked time, chess games showed actual piece movements, and the various life stages and aspirations. It was a good mix of everything.

Sims 5? Whelp, here we are again. It just begs the question what gameplay looks like, or if they've even begun with it.

Like yeah, jt doesn't even excite or color me curious. What hooks me to play The Sims is micro managing and simulating aspect. I'm probably inn the minor in this, but what the hell is being able to change cushioks on a couch in renamed TS5 (kudos for them not titling as such) for the first time in the "series" do for me?

On other hand, I really strong believe from start that's why ghey took a different nane. There might not be any or identical simulation/LIVE mode in this new installment. The Sims, I might know, is probably over and death. PROJECT RENE is now here. Why is nobody concerned or addressing this???

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#88 Old 13th Nov 2022 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism

Like yeah, jt doesn't even excite or color me curious. What hooks me to play The Sims is micro managing and simulating aspect. I'm probably inn the minor in this, but what the hell is being able to change cushioks on a couch in renamed TS5 (kudos for them not titling as such) for the first time in the "series" do for me?

On other hand, I really strong believe from start that's why ghey took a different nane. There might not be any or identical simulation/LIVE mode in this new installment. The Sims, I might know, is probably over and death. PROJECT RENE is now here. Why is nobody concerned or addressing this???

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 13th Nov 2022 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I doubt that EA is shaking in its boots about Paralives which who knows if/when will ever release? About half of us here have posted we will not play Paralives as is or do not like how the Para are being done, so far.

Sims has a gigantic fan base that will want to try Sims 5 no matter what. Some as looks good, some as curious, some as completists, some for whatever reasons. As said if starts out at all well that is no guarantee it will age well though.

I think they are more shaking in their boots because of Paradox. Like someone said earlier they completely killed SimCity. They would be better off just taking Sims 2 and giving it a graphics overhaul if Paradox really is working on a life simulator.

I am looking forward to Paralives however. I think the simplicity of it will be refreshing and I could see it being like Minecraft and evolving for decades with updates; non gamebreaking ones too lol. I'm still pissed that the last TS4 update killed off all of the grandparents in my multigen save
Field Researcher
#90 Old 14th Nov 2022 at 12:32 AM
In a somewhat predictable manner the first round of leaks has hit the internet. EA’s early access play test has at least one user breaking NDA to share clips of a set piece most likely not even intended for the final game, as well as some unfinished placeholder character files..

https://twitter.com/thesims5_world/...G4RAy_QvEDv-4SQ

Not much to gather from the leaks but it is notable that it appears the new game will follow Sims 4 using 3D modeled environments with baked in pieces. Kind of kills the idea of a world creator but since these are just excerpts unused in this test it’s hard to say for sure.
Top Secret Researcher
#91 Old 14th Nov 2022 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ericapoe
I think they are more shaking in their boots because of Paradox. ....

Is there any news since that rather vague interview from 2020 that actually confirms they are working on something?
Mad Poster
#92 Old 14th Nov 2022 at 3:32 AM
I like the Paris theme, but ATM it all looks so fake.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#93 Old 14th Nov 2022 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
In a somewhat predictable manner the first round of leaks has hit the internet. EA’s early access play test has at least one user breaking NDA to share clips of a set piece most likely not even intended for the final game, as well as some unfinished placeholder character files..

Oh, it's just like Sims 4- full of empty, unplayable building models. I'm not much interested if it's going to be like that- why would I, when I can build a whole world of liveable, playable lots in Sims 3 or Sims 2?
Top Secret Researcher
#94 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Is there any news since that rather vague interview from 2020 that actually confirms they are working on something?

There was Rod Humble's interview earlier this year, which suggested strongly that yeah, they were working on a life simulator. Also there was an interesting Paradox hiring description within the last year or so for "a new IP" looking for "a deep understanding of a diverse and predominantly female PC gamer audience."

Attempting to figure out what is going on is not made easier by Paradox keeping a "loose lips sink ships" policy about announcing games early, after getting burned badly a couple of times.
Top Secret Researcher
#95 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
There was Rod Humble's interview earlier this year, which suggested strongly that yeah, they were working on a life simulator. ...

Do you have a link for this? I can only find one from 2020 and one from 2017.
Forum Resident
#96 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 5:34 AM
They already know what we want, they are not that stupid. If they do another scam like with sims 4, I'll assume this game is already dead.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 8:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Also there was an interesting Paradox hiring description within the last year or so for "a new IP" looking for "a deep understanding of a diverse and predominantly female PC gamer audience."

Can I just point out, as a female, that I HATE descriptions like this? You don't see ones listing for a 'deep understanding of a diverse and predominantly male PC gamer audience' so why the heck list females specifically?

I want equality dammit. Animal Crossing isn't just for girls, GTA isn't just for boys, and you shouldn't have to hire people who have apparent 'knowledge' of one gender specific over the other when it comes to gaming. Just fudging game, who cares.

... #micdrop

Theorist
#98 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175

Before Rod Humble left twitter (when musk first announced he was buying so whenever that was) he told simmers we should hear something "soon" and to back that up in Paradox's Q2 report their "ambition" was to provide more info on new titles later in 2022. It seems like the announcement has been pushed back considering there's not much time left in the year but the Tectonic Studio has recent job openings for a 3D Tech Artist and a Technical Animator and they've recently renewed their trademark in CA so it seems likely the game is still being developed.
Forum Resident
#99 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xSwitchback
Can I just point out, as a female, that I HATE descriptions like this? You don't see ones listing for a 'deep understanding of a diverse and predominantly male PC gamer audience' so why the heck list females specifically?

I want equality dammit. Animal Crossing isn't just for girls, GTA isn't just for boys, and you shouldn't have to hire people who have apparent 'knowledge' of one gender specific over the other when it comes to gaming. Just fudging game, who cares.

... #micdrop

In fact I enjoy things more when they have a balance between masculine and feminine. Speaking abstractly.
Top Secret Researcher
#100 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xSwitchback

... #micdrop

Me too! Makes my skin crawl. I think they forget how many women and girls are gamers.
Page 4 of 12