Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 2:34 AM
Default Do these mods exist anywhere?
1. Don't Ring My Doorbell. All I can find is mods to increase the number of walkbys. Not only do I have enough of them, but they are constantly waking up all my dogs and cats and annoying me with their bing-bonging. If I want to greet you I will do it, stop bugging me!

2. Rabbit Birth Control. I use the Simlogical zapper on many lots, but there are some lots that I feel should have to deal with some garden pests because they are more rural or whatever. And it seems like there is no setting between "0 rabbits" and "NIGHT OF THE LEPUS."

There are MORE of them outside the photo!!!

They hold up the carpool and the taxi! Trying to delete them with moveobjects makes me scared I'll delete a portal. The Maxis scarecrow is absolutely useless. Is there anything that allows rabbits/pests to exist but not in these ridiculous numbers?

I've scoured the mod sites I know of and can't find anything, so if you have any suggestions please let me know!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 3:12 AM
There's code in the rabbit file that sets a maximum number of rabbits at 25, which is a heck of a lot. It would be super easy to edit that into any other number. How many rabbits would you like to set as the maximum? Five? Ten?

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
There's code in the rabbit file that sets a maximum number of rabbits at 25, which is a heck of a lot. It would be super easy to edit that into any other number. How many rabbits would you like to set as the maximum? Five? Ten?

5 seems like PLENTY of rabbits to me, aesthetically. But I don't know how rabbits "work," really. Does more rabbits mean more of a chance for them to eat your veggies? I'm not trying to cheat them out of their meal but if that's the only way to keep them out of the street then too bad for you, Fluffy.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 8:59 AM
Of course there's always the SimWardrobe Wabbit Hunter to help too...
http://www.simthing.net/sims1/swobjects02.htm
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

Thanks, @simsample; that looks like fun!

I downloaded this to see exactly what it did, since the page has no explanation. Here's what the Instructions file that came with the mod says:

You can call the Wabbit Hunter from the phones SimWardrobe2 menu. The Wabbit Hunter will come over and blast those wrascally wabbits to smithereens. You will get 5 simoleans per wabbit that he blasts.

Requires Clown Catchers. Clown Catchers comes with most of the recent expansion packs. If you have the file CCPlugin.far in the \Downloads\CCPlugin folder then you have clown catchers.

@EphemeralToast, do you still want me to make a mod that will limit the rabbit population, or will the Wabbit Hunter do what you want? If you do still want it, you said that five seems like plenty. Would four be better? Three? Any number you want is fine with me. Each rabbit has an independent chance to destroy your carrots, so the more rabbits, the more likely it is that they'll eat your carrots.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 9:26 PM

Oh lordy, I missed that one! I am a vegetarian, though, and would rather limit the wabbit population in a non-lethal fashion

do you still want me to make a mod that will limit the rabbit population, or will the Wabbit Hunter do what you want? If you do still want it, you said that five seems like plenty. Would four be better? Three? Any number you want is fine with me. Each rabbit has an independent chance to destroy your carrots, so the more rabbits, the more likely it is that they'll eat your carrots.

Yeah, I'd love a population controller. I think five is fine. It's just an arbitrary number but it seems like enough that I'll still see them hopping around and potentially lose plants to them, but they probably won't hold up my sims for 3 hours in a honking car.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EphemeralToast
Oh lordy, I missed that one! I am a vegetarian, though, and would rather limit the wabbit population in a non-lethal fashion

But they MURDER CARROTS!
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 11:50 PM
That's interesting, because I'm a vegetarian, too! For the past forty years, in fact. There's been a big change in those forty years, too. Back in 1984, when I said I was a vegetarian, people said, "Oh, no, you're going to die of malnutrition!" Nowadays, they say, "Oh, I know that's very healthy, but I could never do it." To me, the health aspects are a nice side benefit; I went vegetarian because I couldn't stand the thought of eating something that was once a conscious creature.

Yeah, I'd love a population controller. I think five is fine. It's just an arbitrary number but it seems like enough that I'll still see them hopping around and potentially lose plants to them, but they probably won't hold up my sims for 3 hours in a honking car.
Okay, I'll make the mod. I'm not really in a position to test it, so maybe you could do that for me? Of course, it only prevents the creation of more rabbits; it doesn't get rid of rabbits that have already spawned, so maybe use the Simlogical "No Scavengers" mod to eliminate your severe rabbit overpopulation problem and then see if the new one keeps you at or below 5?

But they MURDER CARROTS!
Ah, but carrots aren't conscious, you see. At least, not as far as we know. I know you were just being funny, but since vegetarians are so widely misunderstood, I thought I'd answer you as if you were serious. :D

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 12:35 AM
Okay, @EphemeralToast, here you go! Please test this and report back as to whether it works for you. I'm not mentioning this elsewhere until you tell me whether it works.

http://corylea.com/RabbitPopulation...orTheSims1.html

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 3:49 AM
Back in 1984, when I said I was a vegetarian, people said, "Oh, no, you're going to die of malnutrition!"

Haha yup, been vegan for 20 years now and I sure heard that a lot at first, but I'm still here But it's a lot more accepted now than it used to be, which is nice.

So I did a brief (4 days) test on the Ippie lot, which has a medium-sized garden and no scarecrow (I don't know what the scarecrow actually does to deter pests, if indeed it does anything, but thought it was better to have fewer variables). We started with... quite a lot of rabbits, really. I banished them by placing the Simlogical zapper and then removing it, taking us down to a rabbit-free lot. Then I planted some carrots to lure the little bastards back in.

The lot was at 3 wabbits by day 2 and 5 wabbits by day 3. And also at -1 carrots. Grrr!

Something interesting happened on day 4, which is, unless I'm hallucinating, the rabbit population went back down to 1. Maybe this is what's supposed to happen when the rabbit limit is reached? I dunno. But even so, the lone rabbit made short work of the remaining carrot, which leads me to believe that a 5 rabbit limit is absolutely sufficient for retaining pest-threat to a garden (though perhaps things would be different with a scarecrow, idk).

So I would say, probably working? I have a couple other lots with gardens so I'll let you know if I observe anything different there. Thanks for doing this, it looks like it will be removing a major irritation for me!

Bizarrely, even with only 5 rabbits on a lot, they STILL all want to congregate on the roadway for some reason! But it is MUCH easier for the carpool to get around 1-2 rabbits in the way instead of like 10.

But they MURDER CARROTS!

RIP carrot patch #1 and carrot patch #2, you will live forever in our hearts
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 9:37 AM
Ah, but carrots aren't conscious, you see. At least, not as far as we know. I know you were just being funny, but since vegetarians are so widely misunderstood, I thought I'd answer you as if you were serious. :D

Yes I was joking, I didn't mean any offense, sorry if I sounded flippant! I think people have to find the diet suitable for them, at the moment I'm eating very low sugar and high fat. So far it's helped my husband and me greatly with several serious healh conditions, so what you eat is very important! I am carrot friend though as I don't eat too many of them (high-ish carbs).

But even so, the lone rabbit made short work of the remaining carrot, which leads me to believe that a 5 rabbit limit is absolutely sufficient for retaining pest-threat to a garden (though perhaps things would be different with a scarecrow, idk).

RIP carrot patch #1 and carrot patch #2, you will live forever in our hearts

I never found the scarecrow to help that much, this is why I always resorted to the wabbit hunter. It is a bit gruesome though, I would love a rabbit catcher like the pest control guy. It's very difficult to grow enough carrots for recipes!
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 5:11 PM
@EphemeralToast, thanks for testing! Y'know, it occurs to me that it should be possible to make the rabbits drive throughable. I've never tried to make anything DRIVE throughable before, but I made my yard light WALK throughable, and it's probably the same property. Let me do some testing to see if I can make a drive-throughable object, and if I can, I'll apply that property to the rabbits, and you can go test that. I should note that this sort of property is generally set when the object is initialized -- that is, when it's spawned -- so if I manage to do this, it will make any rabbit spawned in the future drive throughable but not the ones that have already spawned before you install the mod.

@simsample, Oh, goodness, I wasn't offended! Don't worry about that. I think there are ethical concerns about what we eat, in addition to nutritional ones, but I know that others disagree. Everyone gets to decide for themselves.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 6:59 PM
I never found the scarecrow to help that much, this is why I always resorted to the wabbit hunter. It is a bit gruesome though, I would love a rabbit catcher like the pest control guy. It's very difficult to grow enough carrots for recipes!

I have NEVER successfully grown a carrot in the Sims.

Let me do some testing to see if I can make a drive-throughable object, and if I can, I'll apply that property to the rabbits, and you can go test that.

That's a great idea. The way it works now is a bit weird: the car sits and honks at the rabbit, but as soon as the rabbit moves at all or even hops once, the car considers it no longer an obstacle, and simply drives through/over it (the rabbit is unharmed, of course). And it's like... if you were just gonna drive over it anyway why couldn't you just have done that in the first place??
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 9:26 PM
The way it works now is a bit weird: the car sits and honks at the rabbit, but as soon as the rabbit moves at all or even hops once, the car considers it no longer an obstacle, and simply drives through/over it (the rabbit is unharmed, of course). And it's like... if you were just gonna drive over it anyway why couldn't you just have done that in the first place??

Thanks so much for reporting that; that helps a lot!

I made a test object (a statue) that I wanted to be drive throughable, used move_objects to plunk the statue into the road, and the carpool drove through it with no problem. So then I opened up the file for the rabbit, and it turns out that Maxis had ALREADY given it the properties that should make it drive throughable.

So hacking the rabbit won't work, because it already has the necessary code. But of course a rabbit is not a statue; it's supposed to be alive, and evidently that makes a difference. I'm going to try hacking the CarGlobals file, to add the rabbit's GUID to the list of allowed intersections and see if THAT does it.

And best of all, if this works, it won't be a cheat, because it looks from the code as if Maxis intended the #$%& rabbits to be drive throughable all along! :-)

Off to work on this some more...

Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 10th Apr 2024 at 12:16 AM
Hacking the CarGlobals.iff file seemed to work; the carpool car had no problem leaving, even with plenty of rabbits in the road.

I've uploaded it to the same page as the population hack: http://corylea.com/RabbitPopulation...orTheSims1.html.

This one goes in the GameData\Global folder.

Okay, I think I've finally got you squared away. Gonna go actually PLAY now, though I think making mods might actually be more fun. As least when it's for nice people like you!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Apr 2024 at 11:39 PM
Hacking the CarGlobals.iff file seemed to work; the carpool car had no problem leaving, even with plenty of rabbits in the road.

What a relief this will be for my poor farmers. Thanks for your work!

If anyone cares, I actually did find an alternative rabbit population control mod by C&C Enterprises; you'll have to get it from the Wayback Machine or Yo Nonna's uploads (https://simfileshare.net/folder/166957/). It claims to limit "how many babies a rabbit can have," which I guess means it limits total population? But it also tweaks a few other things; it makes rabbits huntable by dogs (ok, makes sense) and you also get money for each hunted rabbit (does not make sense to me!). It does not appear to affect the "drive-throughable" quality of rabbits. So I still prefer Corylea's version but it's another option for anyone who wants one.