Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 1:16 PM
Default Newly made sims disappeared
I recently made a new family with my partner to our own neighborhood. Everything seemed to be fine and we played as the family for a while. I saved the game and made a backup of it. I wanted to edit some of the relations in SimPE and noticed the whole household was 'Unknown'. I went to see in-game and the family was gone with their base game house/lot. I checked the hood with hoodchecker and saw these error logs.

I assume the 'family ties' errors are the missing household. And for the last part from the memories, we made a new sim before the missing household and she seems to be affected as well. In-game the sim seemed to be fine, but in SimPE i think she was as unknown too.
What is going on here? Is there anyway to recover the family or otherwise fix it? I use mainly CAS custom content and they have never caused an issue before. Would using the Hoodchecker to remove the issues work?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 2:07 PM
Are the sims there in-game? Is their family name correct in-game?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Are the sims there in-game? Is their family name correct in-game?

Both of the newest families seem to be gone. The one that was moved to a base game house and the one sim that was moved in with a sim that has been made some time ago. The other sim that they moved in with is still there, but the memories say e.g 'got engaged with §subject'. The household that was moved separately to their own lot is gone too with the lot.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 4:28 PM
Have you tried restoring the backup? It's possible something you did in SimPE before you noticed something was wrong caused the problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you tried restoring the backup? It's possible something you did in SimPE before you noticed something was wrong caused the problem.

Seems like I made the most recent backup incorrectly since my save is not the most recent ones, but it's okay! At least now my save seems to be fine and working. I'll try to make these missing families again and see if this glitch occurs again what might be wrong.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 8:31 PM
If you're unsure about backups -
The easiest way to make a backup is to copy the files in either your "...\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2" (or UC) folder, if you want all the files including the Downloads folder, or just the "...\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods" folder if you only want to back up the neighborhoods.

The best way to restore a backup is to fully remove the old folder of that same type (you can move it somewhere else or delete it, depending on whether you want to keep the files or move back downloads or some such, but it needs to be fully away from this location and where the game can read the files), and then you copy/paste in the backup files.

You never want to overwrite files or folders when restoring a backup.

If you're using Windows 10 or 11, make sure OneDrive isn't doing auto backups of the Documents folder (OneDrive comes with both of those Windows versions). If you don't deactivate OneDrive, it can in some cases start autobackuping, which can cause a lot of trouble. If OneDrive runs out of space for the autobackup, it starts overwriting files, which can cause files to not save properly, especially for games. If you have a folder on your computer called "OneDrive - Personal", with this path "C:\Users\[user]\OneDrive\Dokuments", and if there are a lot of files in that folder, you'll want to check this out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Aug 2023 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you're unsure about backups -
The easiest way to make a backup is to copy the files in either your "...\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2" (or UC) folder, if you want all the files including the Downloads folder, or just the "...\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods" folder if you only want to back up the neighborhoods.

The best way to restore a backup is to fully remove the old folder of that same type (you can move it somewhere else or delete it, depending on whether you want to keep the files or move back downloads or some such, but it needs to be fully away from this location and where the game can read the files), and then you copy/paste in the backup files.

You never want to overwrite files or folders when restoring a backup.

If you're using Windows 10 or 11, make sure OneDrive isn't doing auto backups of the Documents folder (OneDrive comes with both of those Windows versions). If you don't deactivate OneDrive, it can in some cases start autobackuping, which can cause a lot of trouble. If OneDrive runs out of space for the autobackup, it starts overwriting files, which can cause files to not save properly, especially for games. If you have a folder on your computer called "OneDrive - Personal", with this path "C:\Users\[user]\OneDrive\Dokuments", and if there are a lot of files in that folder, you'll want to check this out.

Thank you so much, this helps a lot! :D